Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best mic for a thin voice?

Thanks

Whats the best mic for a thin voice?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Im currently using an avalon with a tlm 103. It sounds better with fuller voices though. I want to get another mic preferrably a tube thats warmer then a tlm103. Any suggestions? Price range is up to 5k, i just want the right mic for this application.

Thanks
    u87 is hella warm but if the rapper/singer has a breathy voice or talks with a "Sssssss" then u may not like the outcome. its clear as **** though. tlm 103 is dope too.

i can't even lie a good mike for a thin voice is that mxl 990 and it only cost 50 bucks u might as well buy it considering u got 5 gz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malki View Post
    i can't even lie a good mike for a thin voice is that mxl 990 and it only cost 50 bucks u might as well buy it considering u got 5 gz
    The MXL 990 is extremely harsh sounding. Terrible for a thin voice.

I hate the TLM103. Too dark sounding. If you want an insane mic get the Bock Audio 151. It's based on the Telefunken 251. It's a tube mic so it will have a nice clarity and subtle warmth with a smooth thick sound.

And pick me one up while your at it. Please....
    Last edited by Morning_Star; 06-06-2009 at 10:39 AM.
    Macbook Pro i7, Digi 002R, JBL LSR4328, CL7602 mic pre, SM7b, GT66, ProTools 10, Reason 5.

Thanks
    ill look into the bock. Im going to try to make a narrow list and then sample the mics and pic one. Ill def test a u87 and a wunder cm7 gt.

Tlm 103 isnt dark at all. Its very bright, obviously you dont have experience with it. Its a really good all around vocal mic. It just isn't big or warm enough for thin vocals.
    Last edited by familiar1985; 06-06-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by familiar1985 View Post
    Tlm 103 isnt dark at all. Its very bright, obviously you dont have experience with it. Its a really good all around vocal mic. It just isn't big or warm enough for thin vocals.
    It's the main mic they use at "The Outfit", a studio once owned by T.I. And I work there as an engineer. I always have to brighten it up with eq. It is not as warm or nice sounding as a high quality tube mic or a U87. The TLM103 isn't the darkest mic I've heard. I just find it a little dark. But sometimes has a nice thick sound. Reminds me of a suped up Blue Dragonfly.

It just my taste. I'd much rather have a Bock Audio 195 over a TLM103 for the same price. And it's know to sound like but better than a U87.

Bock Audio and Mojave are mics that are hand built and are not huge companies so you get what you pay for.
    Macbook Pro i7, Digi 002R, JBL LSR4328, CL7602 mic pre, SM7b, GT66, ProTools 10, Reason 5.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post

I hate the TLM103. Too dark sounding.
    this guy doesn't know what the **** hes talking about

Thanks
    i have tracks ive recorded with a U87 and i prefer the sound i got from the MXL over it. dig that. to each his own though - one day you realize its not what you have its how u use it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malki View Post
    i have tracks ive recorded with a U87 and i prefer the sound i got from the MXL over it. dig that. to each his own though - one day you realize its not what you have its how u use it
    One day you will realize you are stubborn and ignorant and that other people have opinions too.

You may prefer a MXL over a U87 for something but I'll take the U87 every time. Maybe you don't know as much as you think.

Thanks
    Wow a lot of money to burn on a mic! It would be awesome to have them all in the same place to test out.
    Quote Originally Posted by alkota View Post
    Everyone is too worried about selling themselves before they even have a product that anyone wants.

Thanks
    with "thin" vocals, I think a good preamp is more beneficial than anything. Some clean but heavy drive usually fattens those right up.

To Morning Star, you hit me the same way in another thread. I'm not trying to challenge your opinion, but I've used a gang of mics. It's not "what they cost" or "the quality of build", it's about finding the perfect chain for what you're doing. Sometimes a 990 will fit alot better than a U87 as rediculous as that sounds.

Another sidenote: alot of well recognized professional engineers prefer the sound of the BCM to the U87, that's about $2500 cheaper and is compared to the RE20(often referred to as a cleaner/warmer sounding RE20 that leads to an argument of whether it's worth it's $1000 pricetag when the RE20 goes for around $399).
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 06-07-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Thread Information