What Effects do you Put on Your Rap Vocals?

floss

Me i have pro tools with waves and izotope

I usually start by going to audiosuite Compressor and slapping on a vocal levelor, next i normalize the vocals...I record low to avoid all peeking

Next i use Izotope Compressor for Voice preset
Then iuse TRUE VERB -but ihate the echo sound it brings, so i turn it so it has 2% reverb, last i put Dither on it at 20

Then i mix with the track...What tips do you guys use?

floss said:

I usually start by going to audiosuite Compressor and slapping on a vocal levelor, next i normalize the vocals...I record low to avoid all peeking

Then iuse TRUE VERB -but ihate the echo sound it brings, so i turn it so it has 2% reverb, last i put Dither on it at 20

I have EVERY WAVES plugins(SSL 4000, Z-Noise, GTR, L3, 360, Vocal & Musican's Bundles), and an additional $25,000.00 in plugins, in saying that, I love the way that DIGIdesign Smack! sounds and works.

I use it about 90% on all my vocals, male or female & any kind of music (& I cover a great deal). This is usally placed on the main vocals.
I'll then make copy of their lead track, put eithier a reverb(Bluetubes/TL Space/AltiVerb), Delays(Tl Space/AltiVerb). the other 2 goto compresser are; (Joe Meek Op, BF-2A & IZtope).

Pro Tools 7.3 (DIGI 002/MBox) G5(2.0GHz, 2.5GB) Spectral CUBE-1100(3.0GHz, 4GB)

Ok i dont know if this is possible but maybe it is, heres the thing. Is there such thing as like a setting or effect to make your track all the same voice level. Like i keep re recording this track over and over again to try to get the exact same tone on my voice the whole way through, because no matter how many times i do it theres still parts that are a little bit higher and a little bit lower, there not huge but noticeable. I was told of something called a Compressor, would that do the trick? and how do i use it? i got Cubase LE.

Any input or feed back is much appreciated,thanks in advance!

(im new to all this stuff i dont really know whats goin on lol obviously!)

floss said:

are you serious?!? so many compressors just for one audio track? why? and why are you dithering? and why don't you do all the tweaking where it is needed: in the mix?!? why do you add a reverb that you don't like?!

this is weird.

True4031 said:
Ok i dont know if this is possible but maybe it is, heres the thing. Is there such thing as like a setting or effect to make your track all the same voice level. Like i keep re recording this track over and over again to try to get the exact same tone on my voice the whole way through, because no matter how many times i do it theres still parts that are a little bit higher and a little bit lower, there not huge but noticeable. I was told of something called a Compressor, would that do the trick? and how do i use it? i got Cubase LE.

I'll tell you how I do it in Pro Tools:
I set-up a AUX/Master Fader (Set) for each set of vocals(Lead, Hooks, Ablibs, Chorus). With-in that setting, I route each track through the sends;
example: Analog Master Fader 1(Stero) for over-all composition
Analog 1-2(stero) for instruments/music tracks
Analog AUX(mono) 3
Analog Master 2(Vocals) Lead
Analog Vocal Track(mono) send BUS 3, Analog 3-4

and so on, as you add additional AUX/Master faders, then you slect a diffent set(2 Master Faders can't share the same outputs).
This gives you total control over each "SET" of tracks.

I hope that this helps. Any other questions, just ask.

Peace

I like the reverb - but i dont like sounding like in a holy temple hall way - so i use 2% of it...Who Said i didnt like reverb... I said i hate the echo it brings --meaning if you leave it at 100% it will sound like that, so i bring it down to 2%

The first compressor is a vocal levelor, and the second one i use enhances it...I use 2, the way you type, makes it seem like i use 5 or so lol, its all good though

Didnt understand your tweaking question though...Dont understand what your trying to say...Cause i am tweaking in the mix

moses said:
are you serious?!? so many compressors just for one audio track? why? and why are you dithering? and why don't you do all the tweaking where it is needed: in the mix?!? why do you add a reverb that you don't like?!

this is weird.

Save dithering for the Master Fader, placing dithiers on "vocals' can compress them & subtract from the natural peaks.

If you are using Pro Tools & have Smack! try using that on your vocals, with the warm setting, 2:1 to 5:1 ratio, the other settings are based on how you here things.

Another tip; Use MAXIM on your over all Master Fader & use the dither on that, then use one of the dithiers from WAVES.
Place Maxim on the last insert of the Master Fader, place the WAVES dithier on the 1st insert on the Master Fader.

These are just suggestions, please take a listen to my tracks on my myspace page and judge for yourself. Your constructive feedback is greatly apprechated.

floss said:
I like the reverb - but i dont like sounding like in a holy temple hall way - so i use 2% of it...Who Said i didnt like reverb... I said i hate the echo it brings --meaning if you leave it at 100% it will sound like that, so i bring it down to 2%

The first compressor is a vocal levelor, and the second one i use enhances it...I use 2, the way you type, makes it seem like i use 5 or so lol, its all good though

Didnt understand your tweaking question though...Dont understand what your trying to say...Cause i am tweaking in the mix

Try out AltiVerb 5/6 from Audio Ease, or TL Space.

Last edited:
True4031 said:

If your working on a DAW like Protools or Cubase, just use Volume Automation, unless you like the sound the compressor gives. But the compressor only reduces the volume, not raise the volume for the lower parts. So if there are some really low parts use automation.

Disasster said:
If your working on a DAW like Protools or Cubase, just use Volume Automation, unless you like the sound the compressor gives. But the compressor only reduces the volume, not raise the volume for the lower parts. So if there are some really low parts use automation.

Yes you should ride your tracks, but use the compresser for when you 1st, record the artist/ instruments. Now w/ real world gear, you have to be careful to not over compress/eq, because then you'll have to re-record. With VST/RTAS you can bypass or reset.

LaLeProductionsInc said:
Yes you should ride your tracks, but use the compresser for when you 1st, record the artist/ instruments. Now w/ real world gear, you have to be careful to not over compress/eq, because then you'll have to re-record. With VST/RTAS you can bypass or reset.

If you need a compresser when tracking, your tracking way to hot and/or you have a very bad singer. There should be no need to use one, unless you really know what your doing and you know exactly what sound your looking for.

Disasster said:
If you need a compresser when tracking, your tracking way to hot and/or you have a very bad singer. There should be no need to use one, unless you really know what your doing and you know exactly what sound your looking for.

quote: "Know what sound your looking for"

Answer: Exactly, it's not recording hot, it's captureing a sound, a specfic sound. Some and they are few and far "look" like there peaking, but the sound, never. It's all a matter of:

1.) Proper acoustics placement & treatment, to begin with.

2.) Proper listening placement, when your recording, then listen back to the tracks, you should'nt have to move out of the "sweet-spot". Your set up should be set in a natural work flow, i.e, (talk-back, listening & reording).

3.) Compressor, eq's & delays are again, "enhancement" tools.

example, I use 3 different real-world compressor's:
Avalon VT-737sp, PreSonus BlueTubes & Groove Tubes "The Brick".
I set these up, strickly as "clean & crisp" paths, period. Then I use the various plugins that I named to get the roundnees, warmth & effects that I want.

Im looking to purchase a Joe Meek Compressor, would this be recommended with a lexicon omega for my recording...

LaLeProductionsInc said:
Yes you should ride your tracks, but use the compresser for when you 1st, record the artist/ instruments.

LaLeProductionsInc said:
quote: "Know what sound your looking for"

Answer: Exactly, it's not recording hot, it's captureing a sound, a specfic sound. Some and they are few and far "look" like there peaking, but the sound, never. It's all a matter of:

1.) Proper acoustics placement & treatment, to begin with.

2.) Proper listening placement, when your recording, then listen back to the tracks, you should'nt have to move out of the "sweet-spot". Your set up should be set in a natural work flow, i.e, (talk-back, listening & reording).

3.) Compressor, eq's & delays are again, "enhancement" tools.

example, I use 3 different real-world compressor's:
Avalon VT-737sp, PreSonus BlueTubes & Groove Tubes "The Brick".
I set these up, strickly as "clean & crisp" paths, period. Then I use the various plugins that I named to get the roundnees, warmth & effects that I want.

Yea i get what your saying, its just the way you said "use the compresser for when you 1st, record the artist/ instruments". It sounded like you should use a compressor all the time when tracking, whish isn't the case. Just wanted to clarify that up for the people who dont know exactly how/when to use it.

Disasster said:
Yea i get what your saying, its just the way you said "use the compresser for when you 1st, record the artist/ instruments". It sounded like you should use a compressor all the time when tracking, whish isn't the case. Just wanted to clarify that up for the people who dont know exactly how/when to use it.

Thanks for the co-sign, it actually carries more weight when the discusion goes back and forth, so that people can see/ understand the same info. from more than 1 view point, but explain in depth the same path.

Trusty said:
Vintage Channel 64, Lexicon Pantheon (a mere 4% using a room setting).
Nice I use the VC 64 also. Never tried using the Lexicon Pantheon. I might have to give that a try for our next track. :cheers:

I use the Pantheon is small ammounts(3-6%) along with heavy panning on choruses to bring them out. VC 64 on all the vocals thru an aux. Guess Sonar users think alike.

Last edited:
Back