What effect used on hand claps in 'More Bounce 2 the Ounce'?

nopster

What effect is used on the hand clap track in 'More Bounce To The Ounce' by Zapp & Roger? If you play the short clip on Amazon.com, notice that the 5th or 6th hand clap sounds much different than the rest, but they all seem to vary slightly.

At first I thought it was Flange, but that 6th clap, to me, sounds *much* different than all the rest.

If you go to http://www.amazon.com , type in Zapp in the search box. Then click on 'Roger & Zapp - All The Greatest Hits'.

Thanks!

I don't think they used an effect. I think they're just heavily layered claps and in some parts all the claps hit and in other parts they don't all hit. It almost sounds like some very slight pitch shifting but the claps sound too different from one to the next in some parts so I'd say it's more like different set of claps in certain parts.

damn u remembering me of the oldskool days.......but yo how did they actually make that snare?.......

nopster said:
What effect is used on the hand clap track in 'More Bounce To The Ounce' by Zapp & Roger? If you play the short clip on Amazon.com, notice that the 5th or 6th hand clap sounds much different than the rest, but they all seem to vary slightly.

At first I thought it was Flange, but that 6th clap, to me, sounds *much* different than all the rest.

If you go to http://www.amazon.com , type in Zapp in the search box. Then click on 'Roger & Zapp - All The Greatest Hits'.

Thanks!
YOU WANT THE SNARE CUZ I GOT IT ?

YEAH BLACK21.....I WOULDN'T MIND HAVING THAT I LOVE THAT SNARE.....

yeah at the start of the song you can easily sample some of those claps, you heard them all over 93-95 g funk tracks I still use it from time to time.

thanks cuz....it's a good idea......thanks to blackjack for sending me them too!!

"We spend as much time getting a good clap sound as most engineers do getting a good drum sound ... That's the first thing we did when we built our own studio was to build a room specifically for clap sounds."

supposedly they had a room in the basement of United Sound Systems that they used specially for those handclaps.

Black 21 said:
YOU WANT THE SNARE CUZ I GOT IT ?

black 21, that snare sounds interesting, if you have it, would you be able to send me the clap as well? when you msg me i'll send you an e-mail, or pm me dawg...

After listening to it for the 10th(?) time it now seems obvious to me. It sounds like Roger is doing dynamic EQ changes during the mix, on the hand claps at least. Second opinions?

Back