What are the best plug-ins for drums to make them sound better and stick out more?

J

js41891

I was watching a video tutorial of the producer group "Tha Bizness", and they had all of these plug-ins loaded up on their drum tracks and I was wondering what plug-ins are all the famous producers using to make their drums stick out out and sound punchy. I know their using compressors and equalizing but they have to be using other plug-ins..........

ha, dont bother dude. Around here, anytime you ask for help with anything related to drums you get the same answers.

You're better off doing a search and finding out some stuff for yourself.

Check out the haas effect and paralllel compression on google. These are some of the techniques often used on industry stuff.

Some are known to use
a transient designer plugin like Waves Trans-X or Sonnox TransMod
SPL Transient Designer is another one but some still stick with the
hardware version

And when you saying famous producers maybe you should be saying famous engineers because it's them who do most of this dry work for these famous produces.

td2_450_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Camelphat and Vintage warmer used lightly, or not so lightly if thats the effect your after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just eq and compress and my drums always sit tight. If I have a problem with a drum sound I use a transient designer. I also use NY compression sometimes.

Thanks everybody... I will take ever response into consideration... Anymore suggestions?

Thanks everybody... I will take ever response into consideration... Anymore suggestions?

With hip-hop, the drums are USUALLY the focus, so you'd also want to clear out everything else that may be lying in those frequency ranges that you want to better emphasize with the drums.

Also, starting with good drum samples is VERY important. If you're using crap samples from the start, then you're finished product will be a reflection of that.

drummmmms

I strongly support the suggestion to check parallel compression!
experiment with different sub-busses, ie, one for kick and snare and another for overheads. That way you can fatten up one section and treat the other differently. On the overheads sometimes a de-esser followed by an eq (to regain detail in the hf range, if needed) works wonders, letting u control cymbal "swoshhhhhh" (u know what I mean!)
Hope this helps ;-)
PS: SPL transient designer, or similar, on kick and snare. Magic. Sonnox TransMod does the job beautifully as well, but the UAD spl kicks butt

Keep in mind that making your drums stick out more sometimes, if not many times, means changing more of the other sounds rather than changing the drums.

Start off with only the drums. Make the drums exactly how you want them to sound.

Now turn up the individual sounds starting with the bass. From here, whip out your eq and cut the frequencies that interfere with those perfect drums you just made if your drums are the focus. You want to keep the essence of the other sounds, yes, but you want those drums to be crisp clear.

Panning is key here as well. Move those instruments out the way of your drums. Your hats and higher percussion should really be acting more as little highlights on the overall instrumental. Pan those a little out from the center as well, leaving only the kick and snare in the middle. I also like to keep the bass in the middle as well. The higher the frequency, the more I tend to pan outward. I might keep like a lead melody with a high frequency near center only if I make sure to cut out any bass freqs that compete with the kick or bass.

Here's something else to consider...the more wetness of the effects you use on the drums, the more they are going to sit back into the mix. You want the drums as dry as possible. Use the other instruments to create the size of the room and the ambience.

Try keeping your kick 100% dry and mono. I might add a slight reverb to the snare to help a little with depth (you might hear it in the headphones, but not with open ears) . It will push the kick forward. Definitely I put a little reverb or delay on the high hats, rides, and cymbals and turn down the db. This makes those high percussion sounds act more as highlights to the beat rather than a focus that competes with the kick and snare.

Now that you have your drums properly mixed, it's safe to go in and throw on a transient shaper or any crazy plugin you want to create interesting fx. This way you are doing more sound design than actual mixing using sound design plugins (the number one mistake everyone makes in digital production). This way you can throw distortion fx on your drums, wa wa, flangers, whatever and not worry about it having a major affect on the mix levels. I still stay away from doing any of that because of the style of production I've been doing recently. It's a matter of personal taste from here. Which is great because now you are free to do whatever is in your desire and know it's still gonna bang. That's how you get "creative mixes."

btw the transient shaper I do use though is the one that came with Sonar 8. It's a 64bit plug-in (if that means anything for your setup). In my experience, the free plugins I've used on KVR are generally up to par if not better than most plugins I've collected from software I've purchased that was bundled with it (essentially free plugs that come with your software).

I truly believe that if I taught someone how, they could make perfect mixes using nothing but the free plugins found there and in other places on the internet. That goes for vsti's as well. No problem.

Back