Vocal mixing... How do you do yours?

kang

Sponsored by Cadburys Eggs :P lol

Ok... Basically i thought this thread would be a good starting point for newbies who have just recorded their first track i.e. vocals.

I mix RnB vocals but recording the vocals and then tweaking the instruments to fit around it.

Rap vocals... gonna try this weekend.

I was told by an engineer friend of mine that a good way to start mixing a track is by pulling down all your faders, set the levels of the vocal track FIRST and then slowly bring in the instruments, building the track around the vocals i.e. bring in each instrument one by one. I'm not sure if this is a good method and how many people use it but i think it could work better than my current mixing procedures.

I just wanna get a good view in terms of how other people mix their tracks when recording vocals.

Cheers.

Kang.

Mixing is like painting a picture. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Some people mix by bringing up the faders and setting levels. Some people start out with the kick, EQ, Compress the whole thing, then, at the end..do the final tweaking. The advice your friend gave you sounds good for rap or R&B because those styles are based on vocals. Other styles, like metal or shoegaze don't showcase vocals the way rap or R&B does. Metal is the driving kick drum and the booming bass. Then, the guitars. Shoegaze is based around the guitars and everything is built around that. One of the best ways to approach a mix, (from what I've found), is to look at the stlye you are doing and go from there. See how others mix and take notes/advice like you've been. The mix depends on the person mixing and the stlye. All of these "technques" are guidelines...not rules...

Yeah i agree that there is no wrong way or right way to mix. I agree with the fact that mixing is an art. Mixing is probably the most important part of putting a track together after mastering.

The reason i created this topic was to get a broad view of different techniques people use. I dont wanna create a "you MUST mix like this" topic. I just wanna hear whats worked for various people.

I agree with what your said about the mix depending on the person mixing and the style.

This weekend i recorded 3 rap tracks and i'm planning to work on the mix on one of them this coming weekend, i'm gonna try and use the technique that my friend recommended. I'm always up for trying something new and experimenting.

If it doesn't work its no skin off my nose coz i can just do the mix how i normally do it.

Keep the posts coming people :D

I don't know that bringing up the vocals FIRST is a great idea, but in my experience bringing in the vocals sooner raher than later is optimal. I like to get a base first, a foundation, before I bring in something as demanding as a vocal.

When i mix hip hop i usually start off with the lead vocal, bring in the drums and snares, and the the overdubs, then bring in the instruments. I do this cause drums vocals and snares are whats dominant ina hip hop track, and it works well

Back