Tips On Taking Care of Your Monitors

J

jnoobiam

Can anyone share some important tips on taking care of your monitors?

I know one thing is to not turn them up too loud but how loud is too loud? I'm always paranoid that I might damage the monitors somehow... earlier I hooked up my monitors to my macbook pro and I kept the volume on the 4th bar(or so I thought) when I went to itunes to played something the music just exploded threw my speakers(not the woofers thank god).

Is there by any chance that I could have damaged my monitors? What I don't understand is people say either you can damage your monitors by turning it up too loud or pop out the woofers.. I can understand the woofers but how and what else could they damage in the speakers if turned too loud?

One thing to remember is make sure your monitors are always the last thing turned "on" and the first thing turned "off."

T-Vo Beats said:
One thing to remember is make sure your monitors are always the last thing turned "on" and the first thing turned "off."

Yeah thats what I always do. Another thing dont keep em on whenyour just surfing the web or listening to music on the internet cause you never know what kind of sound could pop up

T-Vo Beats said:

why is that? what could happen if i do it the other way around... i've actaully done it a few time before =X

jnoobiam said:
why is that? what could happen if i do it the other way around... i've actaully done it a few time before =X

When you did it did you hear a loud pop? I've actually done it a few times myself but it could damage your monitors.

yeah i did hear a loud pop... ive done probably 3 4 times... how can i tell if i damaged something? and what does it damage exactly?

Believe me you would know if they were damaged. But you shouldn't stress about it so much. It's good to take care of your equipment but if you constantly think about messing stuff up then you just might make it happen.

some people check the voltage of the monitors, and add a fuse inside both speakers... therefore the fuse will blow b4 the speakers do.

da relic

Get an amp with half the power of the monitors... that way its almost impossible to make them explode ;)

i always turn down all my outputs when im powering down.
that way next time i power up, if my monitors are already on by mistake and then i turn on my soundcard i wont get that massive pop.

but yeh someone hit the nail on the head earlier, make sure they are the last thing turned on, first thing turned off.

generally speaking, most good quality monitors are capable of volumes more than we would ever use anyways.

Simply just make shur all volumes is down before powering on....then when turning it off just slide or turn all volumes low low....this way you youll be kool.....

And A pair of moniter cushions would inspire them hoes to work for life!!!!

playa said:
Get an amp with half the power of the monitors... that way its almost impossible to make them explode ;)

Actually, it's easier to blow a speaker by underpowering than overpowering.

I have never blown any speaker of any quality but the key things for longivity are having a properly matched am (if passive), don't let them clip, etc. Simple. I'd also turn them off when they arn't in use but an amp should last a LONG time anyway.

Back