stereo source + mono pedal?

Cee High

If you were playing a Fender Rhodes instrument that had auto panning and a big stereo image, through a hardware mixer and had a MONO Distortion pedal connected to the mixer's Aux Send and Return (both in mono) and applied the distortion to the Rhodes channel, would it lose the original stereo image? Or would only the distortion effect be in Mono and the Rhodes signal still have its big stereo image?

I don't have the gear to test this out, but I'm asking before I buy, because I would really like to use hardware FX, as opposed to software plugins.

Would a Mono-to-Stereo cable, running from the Mono pedal into a Stereo Aux Return, make a difference?

I'm just wanting to apply Distortion to my Stereo sources and still keep the stereo image in tact, while having the effect applied, if that's possible.

I'm looking at picking up the Big Muff Pi for my distortion effects, if this all works out.

Peace!

Last edited:
When you add mono distortion via the Aux Send and Return you'll have a distorted mono signal added to the clean stereo signal. For the Rhodes that would result in a clean, broad auto panned rhodes with a distorted center.

A mono to stereo cable leaves the signal in mono, as it just splits the mono signal into two channels that carry the exact same signal.

If you want to distort a stereo signal and want it to remain stereo you'll have to use a stereo distortion unit or two mono distortion units - one for each channel - with the same settings. Or for wild results with different settings on each unit. However...this again would affect your original stereo image (not making it mono though).

Hope this isn't too confusing...

Back