Stereo Expander when to use?

ManuelMateus

I have read a little about the stereo expander, but i have not yet realized when to use it. can someone give me a brief explanation please

It's used when you want to spread a stereo source. A very good example would be vocal reverb. If you send your vocal to a stereo group and apply expansion to the group, you get a really cool effect of having the reverb spread out wide while keeping the source track close and centred.

Imagine yourself standing between two people side by side talking to you. A stereo expander will put "distance" in the stereo field between these two sound sources.

so stereo spander will work only with a track in stereo, apply to instruments such as the kic drum or the bass dont make sense, it's use to give more space in the mix, thanks for the tip with the vocals

Last edited:
I use it a lot for snares, with reverb or without, it makes the snare sound a lot wider and unique. even better for claps.

Last edited by a moderator:
zinmaru said:
I use it a lot for snares, with reverb or without, it makes the snare sound a lot wider and unique. even better for claps.
Why would anyone use it on any drum sound.
Most should be mono.
Until you really inderstand the hell you are doing leave the stereo
expander for others to play with

Last edited by a moderator:
hackenslash said:
It's used when you want to spread a stereo source. A very good example would be vocal reverb. If you send your vocal to a stereo group and apply expansion to the group, you get a really cool effect of having the reverb spread out wide while keeping the source track close and centred.
thx 4 this tip, even my teech couldnt think of anything useful to do with a stereo expander. he told me to never use it. but u found a use.

you are great !
:cheers:

Back