Sidechain compressing a fast kick pattern

Sk1nZ

Ableton Addict
I can sidechain the "drop" part of my track to where im happy as the kick is in a 4/4 pattern so its fairly easy, what im having trouble with is during a buildup when the kicks are used in a faster pattern such as 8th and 16th notes.

From what i can see the compressor doesnt have time to sidechain say a synth lead when the kicks are all in 16th notes because its too quick, the result is the synth lead constantly pushed down until the kicks end and the lead gains its volume again. Even when adjusting the attack and release i cant get it to sound right, the best it sounds is when the compressor is off so no sidechain is happening

Has anyone got any tips on what to do during a quick kick pattern when it comes to sidechain?

Thanks

When encountering this I just switch the sidechained compressor off during this very part using automation. Or you can just use a sidechain triggerer not being the kick and mute it during that part.

I would either adjust the release, or go with automation. I use FL Studio and it has a envelope controller that is controlled by midi data. With it, it's easy to just create a volume automation that has perfect timing for the track. Not sure what DAW you use, but it's essentially a fancy automation clip.

I also like the idea of using a muted track to sidechain. You can just create a click sound and use that or any other rapid sound.

This technique was first introduced by Daft Punk. It's used to emphasize the groove of a track. A build up is breaking the groove so there's no sense to use this technique for that part of the track.

Using a ghost kick which is muted and triggers only the sc-comp is the first step to advancing this technique 'cause by doing so it's possible to get the track pumping even when the real bd isn't playing.

The next step would be to use not one sc comp on the hole track but using sc comps on several signals like bass, pads, or even hihats with different attack and release times.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips, ive just automated the compressor to go off during the build and it seems to work well.

Ive heard people route the compressor to a bus and use the sidechain as a send ( if ive understood right that is ), if so what is the advantages of doing this as im currently just putting a compressor on the track i want to duck and use the kick as the input signal

Back