Shure Sm57 vs Mxl 990

gballin123

I know these arent the best but Im just starting. Any opinions? Im leaning towards the mxl 990 but any arguements for the shure would be appreciated

If you've only got 100 bucks to spend on a mic for now (and aren't willing to wait for another paycheck or two) I'd get the 57.

No, it's not a condensor, but it's a popular, durable, versatile dynamic that you can always keep in your mic closet.

Think about it: guys with tens of thousands of dollars invested in recording equipment still sometimes find themselves reaching for a 57, because it's the right thing for a particular track. Nobody is reaching for the 990 because it's the "right sound".

As soon as you buy a better mic, your 990 will be relegated to the closet, while a 57 can still be a part of your studio.

Just my opinion.

-Hoax

Spend the $99 on a Studio Projects B1. Every magazine raves about it. The SM57 is a workhorse, but if it's vocals you're cutting the majority of the time, the SM57 won't cut it (though at some point you should get one, 'cause it is a great all-purpose dynamic). Guaranteed you won't be dissapointed, provided you know what you're doing.
Peace

I produce and record hiphop and i hava the mdx990 and it works good and it is a condenser mic sure you can get better but for 70 buck at musicansfriend you cant beat it. But don't forget a pop filter and a pre amp. Its a good Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the issue with Behringer that many people have, but I don't like their mic pres, at least not to use them exclusively. I have a MIC100 that I run drums through, and I've used it a couple of times on vocals with decent results. But compared to my other pres I have and have used, it ranks at the bottom.

What do you have now?
Peace

My opinion is that Shure holds it down when it comes to manufacturing mics.

I would go with the 57 if I were you!

Or even an SM58 will do your vox some justice.

Get the sm57...you'll have it forever and will be able to use it on just about anything...Even if you decide to sell it to help you pony up for a better mic later, it will hold its value for the most part...that other mic you wont be able to get half of its value used I'd say, and I'd much rather be recording anything with that over the other u listed.

I've recorded some vocals with an sm-57, back when it was all I had...getting a nice (good and relatively expensive) condensor mic is like night and day in comparison for vocal sound, but for hip-hop some people sound really good rapping through a 57....I read that alot of Steven Tyler's vocals (Aerosmith) were recorded with an sm-57 on alot of his albums-

Back