REVERB 4 DnB

jayjaybee

Hi everyone

Is there a standard reverb setting which is guaranteed to sound tight yet give enough depth to a drum and bass mix?

Which setting is best to use, Plate, small room, large room or club. Also which decay time is best for a fast mix of 175 bpm?
Do i need a pre delay ?

Ive played around 4 hours with different reverb settings but just cant find the right one.

Please no replies like "whatever sounds good".

Thankx

Are you wanting to apply reverb to the whole track?

If so you only need a real small bit, other wise it will get very messy (especially when you consider the nature of DnB).

No, i just need a setting for the individual drum tracks.

I read ambience is a common setting but it sounds too metallic.

Also, i run a software reverb programme like the ones with stienberg and blue reverb, could this be my problem? Do you know any good sounding software reverb programmes?

Thankx

Good reverb! Alesis Midiverb, these hardware reverbs are way better than software hifi-sounding reverb plugins. Actually most are better!
Software reverbs, try Cubase plugins, Sonic Foundry is pretty good, TC Ness sounds warm, and darn i forgot the name of mine favourite.
Anyway, for D'n'B, don't switch to ambient setting, that's for Trance and Ambient(Duh!!). You'll looking for fat sounds and those that go in front of the mix, a short reverb setting acts like a delay, causing a short feedback coming back, resulting to thicken the sound of the mix.

Parablue said:
Anyway, for D'n'B, don't switch to ambient setting, that's for Trance and Ambient(Duh!!).

Um...Ambient reverb has nothing to do with the Ambient music genre(Duh!!). Now go find me some Folk Delay and Jazz Compression :p

Ambient reverb can actually be pretty good for Drum n Bass, as it's generally short and the right amount can add depth without getting swampy like some Room and Hall settings.

It probably sounds metallic because you are using too much of it or it may need more dampening or the length adjusted etc.

Actually, i dun't know what the person was referring to as in ambient reverb, is it a reverb setting or a certain plugin/equipment? I'm taking it that he's referring to longer pre-delay time and feedback setting.
Plenty of trance and ambient music is involved with swamping the reverb to give a large scenic ambient atmosphere. Most D'n'B is dry and in front of the mix with shorter reverb time. We'll talking about the same thing, jus the definition wasn't clear.

Back