Questions for mastering experts....

kang

Basically...

I know that i need ot leave atleast 6db of headroom so that the mastering engineer has something to work with and i know i shouldn't add any effects to change the dynamics of the stereo out... the mixdown has to be dry in that sense.

The questions i wanna ask is this...

When mixing down do i put in the fade ins and fade outs or does the mastering engineer do this?

Also in terms of the track ending... What if i dont want the track to fade out? What if i want the beat to just stop suddenly say for example on the last word of the chorus. Would i do that normally in the mix when i mixdown?

Just a couple of questions to begin with.

I'm sure i'll post a few more up depending on replies. I just hope my questions make sense... lol

Cheers.

Kang.

one crucial point that many seem to miss with the 6dbfs of headroom is that you need to mix into this.

having 6dbfs of headroom is not the same as just mixing hot and then turning down the main fader to leave this as the top.
i still see flat topped files coming in hear with a peak of around this -6dbfs mark from people who dont quite follow what is meant when its discussed.

working with 24bit resolution and recording tracks with an individual peak of around -14dbfs with faders at unity will give you a finished mix with about -6dbfs peak value on the main output.

this value is not important though. its the process and principle thats important. you may end up with a track thats -3dbfs or one thats -10dbfs but its still all going to be much better for mastering and the final result.

ref fades. ideally you want to leave tracks unfaded unless its somewhat complicated. even in this case i suggest giving me an unfaded and then sending in your own fade and i can then match.
it saves things being chopped off, prevents issue with dithering and allows flexibility to adjust within the final CD. if the client fades its fixed but outwith the context of the final product and may not always sound good.

tracks that stop suddenly should be mixed down with some extra blank space at the end after the sudden stop by extending the mixdown range out beyond the final end point. it ensures that remnants of sound are captured and allows room to adjust etc.

speak to your ME though as it can vary

Back