Processing recorded hits

Pulen

When i start making a track,my workflow goes something like this...i take my Scarlett CM25 mic and record everything that seems to sound interesting...next thing i do is find the best sounds out of all i previously recorded and lay down some percussive groove out of them...here on the next step my question beggins: am i doing this right?...i have read that everything you rec from only one source is mono,but when i lay a groove out of my sounds it sounds solid(add some filter delay and similar)...i tend to get a fairly wide and nice sounding groove,but im still not sure if it only sounds good to me...also,i dont use any special mic techniques,i just record from multiple
Locations and distances etc. And figure out which one sounds the best for what i need...
Is this a legitimate way of making your tracks? I dont wanna go and make a track only to later find out that some of my percussive or bassy parts are low sound quality, due to my way of recording.

I hope I asked the right questions here...
Thanks in advance ;)

Mono = same signal in left and right channel. When you record with a single mic you will have a mono signal. When you combine the different mono sources and pan them you get a stereo signal (different content in left & right channels).

For the recording, I'd pick one position in your room that you are recording in and listen to how your recording sounds (having a reference track with a similar recorded instrument or sound would be helpful). After picking a position that is close to the sound you want, then I'd adjust the placement of the mic to capture your desired sound as best as possible. Is there a right way of doing this? No, not really. If you like the sound that you get, then keep doing what you do to get that sound. If you don't like it, try something new.

To know if you're material sounds good, load up some of your favorite songs into your session and compare them (preferably at the same volume). Listen for any inadequacies in your recording, arrangement, and overall mix and make changes to fix those issues.

Edit: if you provide an example of your work someone here will be able to give specific advice on your recordings & mix

Last edited:
I've read about processing two mono signals differently to get stereo,but some say its not a true stereo sound, but rather mono which is really boosted etc...but still,its helpful for me so...
Thanks a lot for the answer..i'll post some of my demo work here ,hopefully in near future ,so we can discuss it further..

Cheers man ;)
Pulen

I've read about processing two mono signals differently to get stereo,but some say its not a true stereo sound, but rather mono which is really boosted etc...

2 Mono different takes panned left and right = Stereo.
2 takes copy-pasted by your daw, with the exact same waveform = just louder, still mono.

Back