Presonus Studio vs Art Voice Channel

K

KloQwYse

They both have what I want (Preamp, Compressor, EQ) The presonus is cheaper. I've used an ART pre-amp before but that was really before I was worried about sonic character. I'm looking at improving on what I have now (Digi MBox2 Pro + Plugins) but the digi preamps sound thin and it's damn near impossible to get warmth and punch into my vocals when I have to create it. It just sounds weird. I'm hoping to get a good sound into protools then mess with it once it's there. I have a Shure SM7B mic right now. I know there's better pre's out there but I'm looking for a channel strip under $500 for now. I will probably upgrade to a Focusrite ISA 220 with the digital card next tax season but I have a project coming up that I need to have quality vocals on it.

HELP

I'm looking for a channel strip under $500 for now.
Audient Mico or Safesound P1. Spend the extra $200, it will be well worth it, imho.

*Mico is a dual channel not a strip but it is a DAMN good mic pre. P1 is a channel strip with dynamic controls only (no eq). And is used in some of the MOST professional studios for its limiting finesse and "peak-ride" technology.

I suggest build a nice chain... strips are cool but in order to get a good one... you gotta pay for it. Build your chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Channel strips suck in my opinion. A good pre cost $500 and up. A good eq is $1,000 and a good compressor runs about $1,000. That's $2,500 and for that money you can pick and choose what you want and get them one at a time. That's why I hate the Avalon so much. For that money I can have an API mic pre and eq with a distressor compressor. That's a first class chain.

Spend the $500 on a pre. It will sound better and you can upgrade one piece at a time. For that price look at the Black Lion Auteur, Grace Designs 101 and the TrueSystems P-Solo. And for $130 more you can get the Summit Audio 2BA-221 if you must have that tube sound.

For a great compressor that's cheap look at the FMR RNC or RNLA. They are only $200 and the best compressors under $1,000.

Congrats on the Shure SM7b. Everyone here knows it's my favorite mic.

Last edited:
Channel strips suck in my opinion.
Well he said it... I was trying to be a bit more gentle but that's it in a nutshell.

For a great compressor that's cheap look at the FMR RNC
Well, I have a couple RNCs and I have the same problem with both. After a couple years of use the "Super Nice" mode starts getting a little quirky... remenescent of the old days with Joe Meek MC2... LOL

I had a Rode NT1-A for like 4 years. I still stand behind that for bang for buck, but the SM7 was pretty cheap aswell and kicks ass. lol. I picked it up for $75 off a buddy.

Good Looks on the advice, I'll look into it. OK, so I get a good Pre, say I go with the Grace 101. In the meantime, I have Nomad Factory plugins I've been using for compression and EQ. I was looking at going with an SSL X-Rack for Compression and EQ. I used an SSL 9000 in school, does anyone know if there are any nice alternatives cuz they are kinda pricey. You gotta get the box, then buy the units separate. it's gonna run around $2100 for the two units.

the SM7 was pretty cheap aswell and kicks ass. lol. I picked it up for $75 off a buddy.

$75??? Some one call the police cause you robbed that dude. I got a good deal on mine at $250. That's cost for a new one.

The grace is nice but I'd go with the Black Lion or the Summit Audio if you can afford it. The Summit is really nice.

For eq I'd look at the API 550A with the rack mount from A Designs. It's $1,000 but one of the nicest eq's ever made. Although most people now don't use eq going in anymore. So I would get a compressor first.

Like I said best budget compressors are FMR no question. But if you want a big dog compressor go with a 1176 or a Distressor.

Back