Pre-amp and Phantom Power

Ghost Loyal Fam

is there a difference between using a mic with phantom power, or a pre-amp??

I have a condenser mic and i bought a phantom power box with it, and i'm wondering if i should buy a pre amp as well? or is a preamp for mics that aren't phantom powered? would it make the sound any different?

That's a good azz question. I can't answer that one though. I got the tube MP joint and a small mixer w/ phantom power and an eq. I like the tube but I could do without it. It takes longer to tune vocals before recording w/ the tube for me. I wish I had a remedy for that.

It seems you have your concepts a bit mixed up. You need both - the mic needs power from the phantom and a preamp to amplify the signal. If you're getting sound from it, you already have a preamp somewhere, be it built-in in your mixer, your soundcard or a separate device. So in anwer to your question - well, it can't be really answered as such, since you can't compare the two. A good preamp will make it sound better, but you're still going to need that phantom power...which basically all standalone units will offer.

Well, you're looking at it the wrong way.

Basically, you have two kind of mics :

- Electrodynamic mics, which don't require any form of powering.

- Electrostatic mics, which are based on electrostatic charges, and to achieve this it needs some kind of power (this is a generalisation, electrets for example only need the power for the internal preamp).

Now, both kinds of microphones deliver quite a low signal, which is too low for you to use in most applications (most circuits, for example in a mixer or soundcard, need line levels). So you need a preamp, which only job is to bring up the level to a useable state.

Now, you might have heard that condenser mics have an internal preamp. That's usually true, because the variations in static charges are so small they need to be amplified a bit (and usually they do it that way that the output level of a condenser mic is higher than a dynamic mic). But still, you're not even close to a line level which you need for example in a mixer. So both mics need preamps.

Most decent preamps can deliver phantom power, so you can use them with electrostatic mics. If the preamp can't deliver power, it won't work with electrostatics. That's why those external phantom boxes are for, they provide the power, so the mic can deliver it's signal, and then you connect that to a preamp.
Nowadays, making a "normal" preamp is cheap, so a lot of phantom powering boxes actually include a preamp too.
Do you need to get an extra preamp? Depends what you have already. Any decent production mixer has some mic preamps included.

So, in conclusion, you need a preamp for all mics. Will it make the sound different? That depends on the preamp. Different electronic designs have different sonic results, and sometimes it's those sonic signatures that are sought after (for example tube preamps usually give a fuller sound, with smoother top). You can't expect a 50$ preamp to behave like a 3000$ one...

well i have an audigy platinum 2 ex

and i hook up the mic (with phantom pwr) directly to it's 1/4 inch jack which has it's own volume control...and i have no problem getting the recordings loud enough...could it be that a mic pre is in the soundcard then?

the mic is a condenser

Electrodynamic is a good name. Usually those mics are called dynamic mics in short.

And ghost loyal fam, the input you connect the microphone will certainly be the mic in (consumer cards usually have a quarter inch jack input for that). In that case, yes, the the "volume control" you are speaking of is the preamp gain.

Back