need help help mastering

lord_lancealot

first off, I'm new to this website, with that out of the way, I'm having problems mixing and mastering all my effects right in fl studio 6. You know, taking away that direct sound feeling and making it into that cd quality feeling. I'm really looking for a good resource and some tips, it'd be really helpful.

well yeah that's very true, I'm just hopefully looking for any useful tips that a lot of you more experienced producers can help with.

you perhaps want to look into mixing more than actual mastering. its common to get the roles somewhat blurred and i suspect that you want more mixing info instead.

the art of mixing by david gibson can be a good read.

its such a wide area to discuss that you really need to narrow down specifics to get better answers.
the short one is that it takes time and practice

The Mixing Engineer's Handbook by Bobby Owsinski is also a good read. About half the book is his own writing, the other half is interviews with distinguished mixing engineers across the industry.

He also wrote The Recording Engineer's Handbook, which can be a good tool to making sure you get the *right* stuff to mix.

Mastering is a whole different ball game, and requires a completely different angle of approach to a project. I don't suggest mastering your own work, but if you really want to get into this, I suggest The Mastering Engineer's Handbook (same author), or Mastering Audio: The Art and Science (Bob Katz).

Last edited:
Back