This mono shit again. Are commmerical Tracks in Mono?

ShaiBobble

fghhjhjhjjjj
I wave candied my song in fl studio and its a huge, fucked up, far from perfect circle. I wave candied "travis scott - Ra Ra" and its a perfect straight up and down line. Can anyone explain?

Before you ask me these obvious questions here are the answers.

Yes my 808 is in mono
yes my kick is in mono.
No i dont have any stereo seperation past 0

Yes my song sounds shitty.
yes i tried to compress my kick

no i dont know what im doing, even after watching countless youtube videos and reading countless tips on the internet and pro mixing sites for 2 years, and counting after failing time and time again.

yes i use shitty fl studio to mix..

Oh and i no longer get angry about it because its become normal

and is it okay to release my shitty mixes until i get recognized and can afford the studio lol?

Last edited:
Commercial tracks are usually stereo. We don't live in the middle ages any more. However, club systems are still often mono, and that's why it's somewhat important for tracks to have mono compatibility - that means that while they have stereo elements, said elements don't disappear when summed to mono. I don't think this is super high on your agenda, unless this is the only step away from getting plays in clubs.

I wave candied my song in fl studio and its a huge, fucked up, far from perfect circle. I wave candied "travis scott - Ra Ra" and its a perfect straight up and down line. Can anyone explain?

I can't say I have a super solid foundation on using vectorscopes, but that's kind of the point - visual aids like a vectorscope or a spectrum analyzer are great for confirming some things you're hearing and checking for some small things you can't, but comparing visuals of two completely different songs is, well, f*cking useless. Use your ears. Remember that even having tools like these at our disposal is a relatively new phenomenon, and 95% of the music you've heard was never "wave candied" when being made.

no i dont know what im doing, even after watching countless youtube videos and reading countless tips on the internet and pro mixing sites for 2 years, and counting after failing time and time again.

Well, let's just say that learning mixing and composing at the same time is kind of a huge effort. If I tried to learn 10 different sports at the same time, no one would expect me to be super good at them in two years. Internet is also a bit tricky, and it's very easy to get lost in different "tips" shortcuts and not learning the fundamentals at all. Which is going to show at some point.

yes i use shitty fl studio to mix..

Nothing wrong with FL. Nothing stopping you from making pro level mixes in FL, except yourself.

and is it okay to release my shitty mixes until i get recognized and can afford the studio lol?

Of course, it's not like most of us start out somehow magically perfect - even those that end up being famous started out small. The era where you "wait until you get to a real studio" is gone. Now you just gradually upgrade until you have something worthwhile at your own workspace, and maybe rent a workspace for a project or something. Not that commercial studios don't exist anymore, but they're far from being the only option to attain commercial quality recordings these days. Most of the time it's only the understanding about your tools that's stopping you from getting there and nothing else.

Commercial tracks are usually stereo. We don't live in the middle ages any more. However, club systems are still often mono, and that's why it's somewhat important for tracks to have mono compatibility - that means that while they have stereo elements, said elements don't disappear when summed to mono. I don't think this is super high on your agenda, unless this is the only step away from getting plays in clubs.

I can't say I have a super solid foundation on using vectorscopes, but that's kind of the point - visual aids like a vectorscope or a spectrum analyzer are great for confirming some things you're hearing and checking for some small things you can't, but comparing visuals of two completely different songs is, well, f*cking useless. Use your ears. Remember that even having tools like these at our disposal is a relatively new phenomenon, and 95% of the music you've heard was never "wave candied" when being made.

Well, let's just say that learning mixing and composing at the same time is kind of a huge effort. If I tried to learn 10 different sports at the same time, no one would expect me to be super good at them in two years. Internet is also a bit tricky, and it's very easy to get lost in different "tips" shortcuts and not learning the fundamentals at all. Which is going to show at some point.

Nothing wrong with FL. Nothing stopping you from making pro level mixes in FL, except yourself.

Of course, it's not like most of us start out somehow magically perfect - even those that end up being famous started out small. The era where you "wait until you get to a real studio" is gone. Now you just gradually upgrade until you have something worthwhile at your own workspace, and maybe rent a workspace for a project or something. Not that commercial studios don't exist anymore, but they're far from being the only option to attain commercial quality recordings these days. Most of the time it's only the understanding about your tools that's stopping you from getting there and nothing else.

Well.. FL, is shit... and it has fuck all routing options... It is like using a toy piano and expecting it to sound like an Upright grand piano...

Yea, you can use all the 3rd party vst plug ins, though whatever its being 'bussed' through, is not quality, like logic, or pro tools... or other DAW that have amazing options and effects on board....

Anyway... GEt fucking rid of FL.. gawd :)

Well.. FL, is shit... and it has fuck all routing options... It is like using a toy piano and expecting it to sound like an Upright grand piano...

Yea, you can use all the 3rd party vst plug ins, though whatever its being 'bussed' through, is not quality, like logic, or pro tools... or other DAW that have amazing options and effects on board....

Can you elaborate how "bussing through" FL is "not quality"? Because that's simply not true.

And there is no such thing as upright grand piano.
It is either upright or grand.

The problem is i dont have a mac for logic or pro tools

And there is no such thing as upright grand piano.
It is either upright or grand.

There actually are "upright grands", even though I think it was unintentional :)

Attachments

• SchimmelPiano.jpg
    SchimmelPiano.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 15
Some good responses here. Great advice from Krushing.

My take?:

>>>>no i dont know what im doing, even after watching countless youtube videos and reading countless tips on the internet and pro mixing sites for 2 years, and counting after failing time and time again.<<<<

This is pretty critical and an important admission on your part. At least you recognize that (many don't, but will blame "the gear").

>>>>and is it okay to release my *&*^%^ mixes until i get recognized and can afford the studio lol?<<<<

If you want to compose/write, you might want to concentrate on that, and find a collaborator or collaborators. If you want to produce/mix/engineer as well, as Krushing said, there is a steep learning curve, even with today's technological advantages. Don't give up. but you may want to move off of YouTube tutorials (where half the presenters don't have a clue themselves to begin with), and actually seek out some private lessons, or save up some money and rent studio time for the express purpose of using it as a learning experience. There are bound to be some pro (or just really good part-time or amateur) composer/producer/mixers in your area that would love to get you pointed in the right direction (for a fee, of course). Seek them out; it will help you to be accountable to somebody else, and it will push you out of the rut so you're not spinning your wheels...

GJ

Always. If you are having problems with unintended distortion or clipping, or conversely if you have "not enough" of anything, I'd start there.

GJ

Here are some resources to start. I have no idea what gear you're using, what your mix environment is like (treated or no), but I can say that all of this stuff works better when your entire system is calibrated; meaning, all meters on all equipment read the same "0." So definitely read about calibration, too (_first_).

http://www.msr-inc.com/downloads/pdf_files/cal_your_system_analog.pdf

http://www.msr-inc.com/downloads/pdf_files/cal_your_system_daw.pdf

How to Set Up Studio Monitors The Correct Way Easily

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...how-gain-stage-your-mic-pre-interface-302602/

Gain Staging In Your DAW Software | Sound On Sound

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/in_the_studio_four_easy_steps_for_perfect_digital_gain_staging/

Enjoy!

GJ

Last edited:
Wave Candy is basically a visualizer of the sound wave coming from a channel. It does not really change your mix. It can be applied to any channel or the master by adding it to the FX slot in the mixer window of FL Studio.
It can be used to analyze the dB range of the sound wave.
You can take a snapshot of the sound wave at any time by clicking the big Hold button.
It has four modes: Oscilloscope, Spectrum, Meter, and Vectorscope
You could slow down the speed of the wave rendering by adjusting the Update knob in Oscilloscope, Spectrum, and Vectorscope modes.

If you're tired of struggling with editing, mixing, mastering tasks and want to just concentrate on your music (don't we all?), then I would recommend using a service such as Soundbetter.com for that work. They do a great job, and it's not that expensive...

Last edited:
Mono compatibility is crucially important. However, with that said, having a nice variety of stereo information is important as well. Try keeping most if not all frequencies in your mix from 300Hz and below in mono and relatively free of saturation. This will ensure a solid center with a clean, defined, and powerful low end/sub neighborhood. Hope that helps you out brother!:victory:

When i read "I use shitty fl studio to mix" sorry but it's not fl studio. It's you. When it comes to using a music program. It's all about the painter not the brush. It's all about you. Either learn the program or just switch until you can find one that's suitable for you

wyshmaster produced nelly, chingy, and twista beats with Fruity Loops (I know this for a fact because I have been friends with wysh for 16 years) so if anybody says FL is shit they are just wrong. That being said LAYER LAYER LAYER DUPLICATE LAYER LAYER DUPLICATE. dont like the mono center sound..DUPLICATE and make a second LAYER. Pan one LAYER left and the other right 50% and lower the volumes a bit. Drums don't sound punchy? DUPLICATE the patterns and then change the drum samples on the second LAYER and mess with the compression and volumes and EQ on the 2nd LAYER. (remember LAYERS adds volume so you may have to turn 1 channel at 100% into 2 channels at 75% to get 150% volume w/o clipping. A hit is never made with 8 sounds on 8 channels. they are made with 8 sounds across 16-32 and even up to 64 channels depending on duplicated instruments. I haven't used a single kick sound to produce any beats for like 10 years..always 2-3 one sub, one acoustic and 1 punchy sounding kick mixed to sound like 1. Its extra work and not an enjoyable task but it's outcome is worth the trouble. Check this track out. It's like 7 sounds layered and duplicated out to like 28 tracks CLICK HERE

When i read "I use shitty fl studio to mix" sorry but it's not fl studio. It's you. When it comes to using a music program. It's all about the painter not the brush. It's all about you. Either learn the program or just switch until you can find one that's suitable for you

nah, some brushes are shit... leave brush strokes that shouldn't be there.. all paint brushes are not created equal.. thats why you pay more for the good ones.... great painter, great brush = flawless finish...

Back