Mixing in the vocals

Kid Lightyear

Hey Future Producers! This isn't a post to show case or receive feedback; instead I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my question concerning how I should properly mix vocals into this particular song. I was experimenting the other day with a hip hop instrumental and incorporated a lot of electronic components into it which I love, but I have a buddy that I want to rap over the first and second verse and the problem I'm foreseeing is that his vocals might be drowned out by the reverb of the main synth or drowned out in general by something else.

So, my question is, how would I mix vocals into this song with out changing the amount of reverb on the synth? The synth doesn't sound anywhere near the same without the verb so I really want to avoid reducing it.

Any and all help/advice would be appreciated!

Link below

soundcloud.com/kid-lightyear/elation-instrumental-mix

KL :monkey:

I don't think the verb on this track will drown out the vocals. Eq is important, make sure you cut out the low end on any vocal recording, also compression is very important as it allows the vocal to stand out in the mix. If the verb does start drowning out the vocal, try eqing the verb/synth track around the 500Hz mark, this will allow the vocal to stand out over the verb/synth as the mid range in a vocal is the most prominent frequency in a voice.

Agreed with above, hit the vocals with some nice hard compression, much like what you would do with a lead. I can maybe see the reverb being an issue if the vocals itself has some crazy amount of verb, but it still shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Back