minidisc

T

tardy

Can anyone suggest what type of minidisc recorder I should be looking for to do field recordings?

It would have of broadcast quality, are all minidiscs capable of recording at CD-quality?

And stereo (two line-in inputs), if possible!

Cheers,

tardy.

no minidisc is CD quality ..

the best minidisc is 1/5th CD quality
MP3 is 1/10th

Cds are really popular in alot of theatres, i've got a greattiny minidisc recorder that works wonderfully for quick recordings.

It's a sharp.. I definatly suggest going with one that has an optical input (an output if you can find one in your price range)

I use a special cable, and I can take an optical TOS link into the md

Cheers! I record a lot of audio files using a standard microphone and a digital interface - do you think 1/5 of the quality is worth getting it for, considering it'll be more portable? Or is there some other technology I could use?

Thanks, Rayne, by the way!

I defaintly would say that a MD player is worth the money .

I paid something like $50 for mine on ebay. The optical cable cost $20 from sharp. I've defiantly gotten my use out of it!

ity's great for portable recording of live shows, if you jsut ahppen to be around to record a Djs set or something.

It doesn;t have the dynamic rang efor anything like calssical music, or really for studio prouction quality. But it sounds fine for most live sound.

If you really need good portable recordings there is only one option: DAT

But its bulkier and a little more work than MD, so you need to weigh up sound quality vs size.

Thanks everyone! I'll probably get an MD as a portable solution, always can do high quality stuff at home. Wish I could do something in return for you all!

On the same note - I notice there's a big hoo-ha about USB cables. I've got a laptop, and I think it would be nice if I could get the audio from the minidisc onto my hard drive quickly and without losing any quality.

Is there going to be a problem with this, or will it be a fairly standard gimmick for any MD with a recording option?

I also hear many minidisc (ie SONY's) recorders with USBs don't let you upload - any thoughts on this, and what I should be looking at if this is true. I don't see why Sony shouldn't let you upload your own frigging audio files!

Thanks in advance everyone!!

x Tardy

The only way to copy the audio digitally off a minidisc is to get a rack mount MD deck (or one of the ancient MD players) that has an SPDIF output, then its easy. All the modern MD players only have analog line outs so you'll loose some quality in the process.

really mungo??

i don't use MD's anymore, but about 4 years ago (i know that's a long time) when i had MD in my car even my portable MDplayer/recorder had an optical out.. (or are you just talking coax only?)

my old soundcard at that time (soundblaster live platinum with breakout box) had optical in and out as well, so i was able to transfer everything from and to the computer digitally which was pretty comfortable

Last edited:
Yeah only the old school ones have any digital outs, sony seem to have been putting restrictions on the manufacturers in their constant battle over piracy.

good to know.. but i don't use md anymore anyways..

but i do know that sony (because of piracy) don't build mp3-player, but they use a different format that lets you only upload the songs from the memorystick to the pc they originally come from.. sony's been trying out quite a few ways to stop piracy

They control the atrac encoding on minidisc so they can dictate the limitations of the hardware.

Back