Is a mic preamp important?

D

DieCast

Because the artist im producing for is relesing an album soon and we just realised we recorded all of the tracks without a preamp. This also leads to another question, what other outboard gear do i need for vocals, compressor maybe? Also would anyone recommend recording these tracks in a pro studio because it will be a major release and we are only beginners to recording and mixing although wat weve been able to to do so far is not too bad. Thanks

just go to a major studio for this release, and watch how they do it. It will be the best for you.

but id, you need a decent preamp, just lie a hole leap of other outboard to get proffesional recordings

Preamps are *at least* as important as the microphones they're driving. A $100 SM58 through a great preamp is going to sound great.

A $4000 Neumann through a crappy preamp is going to sound like crap.

The microphone will only ever sound as good as the preamp allows it.

Other than that - I have no idea how you'd record vocals "without a preamp" - You must have had something there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we recorded through an old Digi 001 interface and from wat ive read it didnt have any preamps, but i could be wrong. So yeah thats wat weve been working with. Do i need to get a preamp to hook up to the 001? If so wat do u guys recommend. On a tight budget, anything under $350? Read good things bout the focusrite trackmaster.

I'm pretty sure the 001 has two built-in preamps... It's not like you can do anything with a mic without one.

That being said - If you were going to step up from the built-in stuff, go with something worthy of stepping up. FMR's RNP would be a great "budget friendly" preamp. $500 for a two-channel unit that will kick everything in that price range to the curb with extreme prejudice.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
Preamps are *at least* as important as the microphones they're driving. A $100 SM58 through a great preamp is going to sound great.

A $4000 Neumann through a crappy preamp is going to sound like crap.

The microphone will only ever sound as good as the preamp allows it.

Other than that - I have no idea how you'd record vocals "without a preamp" - You must have had something there...

Dont mean to step on your toes DieCast, but what to you think of the Phantom Power pre in the Emu 1212M. Here is a nice technical article.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/creative-emu-1820/
Is it worthy?

Back