Mastering Presets...

emsiwun

Can anybody out there tell me why I SHOULD NOT just throw a Mastering PRESET on my Master Output Bus???

For example...

Say I made a dope beat in Reason (of course with FL Studio rewired) and I exported my awesome mixdown as a 44.1\16-bit .Wav file, right???

I import the file into Adobe Audition, where convieniently, I have access to mastering plug-ins with hip-hop presets...

Like Raekwon said..."Can it Be?"...

Is it a wrap???

Lemme know FP...

What if the track doesn't need as much compression as what your preset is applying, what do you do then?

emsiwun said:
Can anybody out there tell me why I SHOULD NOT just throw a Mastering PRESET on my Master Output Bus???
because every audio material has different needs. learn your mastering plugins and you will understand what im talking about.

Out of every 100 songs, it will perfectly fit one or two.

Now about those other 98 or 99 tracks -- hmmmm.

Yeah basically everything above, tunes are too individually to just apply a preset to the master, you'll end up losing a lot of audio info and ruining your mix. A preset might be a good place to start, if it sounds good then you can tweak it to find the qualities you want. A program you might want to look into is AAMS - http://www.curioza.com/.

Mastering presets... :rolleyes:

Listen - Do what the track tells you to do.

If it's not telling you what to do, you haven't learned to listen. Or, you mixed it (in which case, you arguably shouldn't be applying any additional processing).

in my opinion...presets are evil.

they are cool sometimes, but limiting ureself to presets doesn't improve ure skill.

i mean, sure sometimes u'll land on a preset that sounds good, but that's not gonna happen very often. u gotta get ure hands dirty.

_chris

emsiwun said:

For example...

Say I made a dope beat in Reason (of course with FL Studio rewired) and I exported my awesome mixdown as a 44.1\16-bit .Wav file, right???

I import the file into Adobe Audition, where convieniently, I have access to mastering plug-ins with hip-hop presets...

Like Raekwon said..."Can it Be?"...

Is it a wrap???

Lemme know FP...
i usually export my reason mix in 88.2/24, just so i have the best resolution possible. adobe upsamples to 32bit so i would think the better res. you have the better it will sound when you master. dont forget to convert sample rate and add dither in the edit menu.
yeah and i'd stay away from the mastering combo's in reason

Last edited:
MASSIVE Mastering said:
Mastering presets... :rolleyes:

Listen - Do what the track tells you to do.

If it's not telling you what to do, you haven't learned to listen. Or, you mixed it (in which case, you arguably shouldn't be applying any additional processing).

Every time a "mixing/mastering" discussion is posted I always look forward for your response..lol

yo...

But if when you are mastering, isn't one of the goals the CONSISTENCY of each track??? (As far as each of them being equal in LEVEL)

It just kinda seems like running all of your tracks through similar mastering chains will keep them all sounding like they were all post-produced at the same place, at the same time...

Nobody wants an album with the levels fluctuating up and down, song per song...

the consistency comes from your ears, not the same setting everywhere. every processor reacts differently with different types of signals.

emsiwun said:
But if when you are mastering, isn't one of the goals the CONSISTENCY of each track??? (As far as each of them being equal in LEVEL)

It just kinda seems like running all of your tracks through similar mastering chains will keep them all sounding like they were all post-produced at the same place, at the same time...

a preset on a mastering plugin will not give you the result you are describing... it will not make all your tracks sound like they are the same level.

even though 2 songs may hit the same level on your meter, the may sound to be completely different volume levels.

Adjustment of perceived volume is something you must do manually.

...and you can run everything through the same mastering chain... but that does not mean thet the same settings must be used.

emsiwun said:
But if when you are mastering, isn't one of the goals the CONSISTENCY of each track???

That is SO not how it works...... every mix is NOT the same and so settings used on one mix have no bearing or relationship to settings used on another.

The MIX dictates what signal processing (if any) needs to be applied, you don't try and fit signal processing you think needs to be there onto a mix - it simply doesn't work that way.

So, what I have learned from this thread is that, I gotta treat EVERY mix differently, as far as post-production goes...There is no single "preset from heaven" that will solve all my dynamic issues...

I'm starting to really understand that just about everything involved with the creation and production of music is SUBJECTIVE...methods, workflow, all of that is subjective...

I was looking for "the best" way of doing things, only to find out that there is no best way...which is dope...it all comes down to how much experience you have at doing it your way, and how that sounds when it is all said and done...

emsiwun said:
I was looking for "the best" way of doing things, only to find out that there is no best way...which is dope...it all comes down to how much experience you have at doing it your way, and how that sounds when it is all said and done...
Bingo! Give the man a cigar......
thumbsup2.gif

emsiwun said:

Doing that will actually give you precisely the *opposite* result of the one you think you'd get. Because in order for the tracks on an album to sound consistent, each song requires a different setup. I mean, why would you think that two totally different songs could use 1 set of settings and end up sounding the same? That's like saying if you give 2 different girls the exact same makeup, clothes, and hairstyle, they'll both look equally as good :D

Last edited:
cause presets are for losers.....all these ghost mastering engineers and ghost mixing engineers do no work....when you have the right settings, your track will shyne...but every track will need different settings from the last b/c of what is going on sonically.....thats how come those assimilators (I know more than a few of you'll got free filter) don't work too well for producing a hit....b/c the sound is what you looking for. Learn to listen.

Back