Making beats that are solid and clean.

bobobobobo

Fashion Victim
This is a topic that baffles me. It seems that sometimes I make a beat and it just comes out right. The drums are hitting and the bass is where it should be. There is a certain clarity that is achieved with little to no effort. Other times I make something that I particularly like, but I can't seem to get the mix right. I try cutting low frequencies, boosting the treble, compressing nothing can make it sound as clean as the beat that took little to no effort to mix. I even try changing out samples but still, nothing. This is particularly frustrating when I have something I really like but it does not have a pleasing tone. Has anybody else run into this issue and if so, how have you dealt with it?

You deal with it by mixing. Theres no one answer anyone can give you. It all just comes down to general mixing knowledge and how good you are, there are thousands of different things you could learn that will lead up to what you want.

Pick up Bobby Owsinkis books on mixing.

As far as when you make a beat that turns out good with little to no effort compared to times it doesn't, id say after looking at the scenario thats probably just you getting lucky with sample selection and it all coincidentally working out.

Last edited:
It's simple, yet complicated. When you make a beat and it just sounds right, it's usually because the frequencies of the sounds line up perfectly simply by chance. Like KODID says, you can get around it by mixing. Your point is why many major producers start out using the same sounds over and over again once they find something that sounds good to the ear. Once you learn how to mix and play with frequencies well, you can get the right sound using almost any samples.

Last edited:
You deal with it by mixing. Theres no one answer anyone can give you. It all just comes down to general mixing knowledge and how good you are, there are thousands of different things you could learn that will lead up to what you want.

Pick up Bobby Owsinkis books on mixing.

As far as when you make a beat that turns out good with little to no effort compared to times it doesn't, id say after looking at the scenario thats probably just you getting lucky with sample selection and it all coincidentally working out.

This is where it can sometimes get complicated for me. I find that I tend to over mix certain tracks. I like what I have musically but can't seem to achieve the tone I am looking for.

It's simple, yet complicated. When you make a beat and it just sounds right, it's usually because the frequencies of the sounds line up perfectly simply by chance. Like KODID says, you can get around it by mixing. Your point is why many major producers start out using the same sounds over and over again once they find something that sounds good to the ear. Once you learn how to mix and play with frequencies well, you can get the right sound using almost any samples.

I never thought of it that way. I tend to try a lot of different sounds. I am usually weary of using the same sounds because I am afraid it will make my beats too redundant. I heard once though that Rockwilder has used the same kick on a lot of his beats. When he is working with somebody on a song he actually has the engineer bounce him a version of the soloed kick track once it is mixed so he will have a variation of that kick to use for his other work.

The solo button and mute buttons are your friends. Solo out everything but your lead and slowly bring in the other sounds one by one. Listen hard and find what instrument causes problems when it's brought in. Then you break out the panning and volume knobs. Once you're done with that, break out the eq to remove frequencies.

I make DnB + other EDM - I'd say if u really like a beat but its not hitting hard like u want or it doesn't have general shApe and tone ' just remember what u like about it and work that into a new beat ' analize beats that are hitting and do have shape and tone u like and work out what it is that is makin them work and apply that to ur own beats . Don't be afraid. To bin beats if there not cutting it ' I find sample selection ' eq ' transient shapers ' layering ' parallel compression and distortion and saturation is what gets my beats going -

Back