M-audio DMP3 Vs Focusrite TrakMaster Pro

The preamps themselves are reasonably similar to some extent.

If you bypass all the crap on the Focusrite, it's not a bad unit. But the EQ is [SELF-CENSORED] and the compressor isn't much better.

With the DMP, at least you have two usable preamps without a bunch of [SELF-CENSORED] in the circuit.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the FR has a built-in converter. So if that's important, there you go.

The DMP-3 is said to be a hidden jewel amongst cheap Pres.

The Focusrite adds crap that you don't really want to insert into the recording chain yet.

If I were you, take a listen to the character of the DMP and see if it fits your style. If so, go with it.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
The preamps themselves are reasonably similar to some extent.

If you bypass all the crap on the Focusrite, it's not a bad unit. But the EQ is [SELF-CENSORED] and the compressor isn't much better.

With the DMP, at least you have two usable preamps without a bunch of [SELF-CENSORED] in the circuit.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the FR has a built-in converter. So if that's important, there you go.

What is a converter and what are the advantages of it?

An analog to digital converter. Meaning you put in an analog signal and can get it out of that FR channel strip through SPIDIF digital. Problem is on a piece like that, the A/D is most definitely horrid.

Back