Lowering Mic Level (Behringer Ultra-Voice Pro VX 2000)

StupidRalph

I'm just got my first audio hook up hooked up. I'm having trouble lowering my microphone level down tho. Even in complete silence its nearly peaking b/c of my cpu fan. I've searched thru the forum and seen that one thread mentioned the trim knob but I don't see one on my Pre-Amp/Processor. I am using the Ultra-Voice Pro. ( http://www.behringer.com/VX2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG ) If you click the picture in the link it will show you which knobs I have on my unit. Also feel free to offer any ballpark suggestions of where other knobs should be. I've been twisting and turning all of the knobs trying to get the knobs down. In addition, I've been pushing all of the LED buttons as well. I'm planning on recording vocals.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your preamp. :bigeyes:

If I were you, I'd download the manual for it though - If you can't run a preamp, you have a LOT of basic learning to do. You need to KNOW what all those controls do. It's all basic stuff, but there's a lot of rope to hang yourself with. "Pushing all the LED's" without knowing what they do isn't going to get you anywhere.

Turn everything you can OFF ("out"), set everything else you can at unity (such as the master output), and start by adjusting the preamp gain only - Nothing else.

You're looking for a signal around 0dBVU. When that gets to your interface, it should read around -18dBFS on a digital PPM meter.

Thank you very much. Luckily, I'm not afraid of learning nor reading so I'll begin d/l the manual immediately. I just posted on this forum b/c I knew it was here and I am pretty sure I will have questions in the future. Again, thanks alot I'll try what you suggested.

Back