low cost nearfield monitors vs. bookshelf speakers

jbotz05

Is there a big difference between low cost nearfield monitors (KRK Rockit 5, M-audio BX5a etc...) and decent bookshelf speakers with relatively same specs (tweeter/woofer size, frequency response etc)? I know there is a huge difference with the higher priced nearfield monitors. Has anyone here made a real comparison?

Quite a few bookshelf speakers are as flat as "monitors", and this goes for the sub $300 category too.
Compare some Infinity Primus 152, or 162's measurements to similarly priced "monitors".

The difference is the sticker on the box.

baybelolife said:
Bookshelfs are designed to make everything sound good they "color" the sound. Moniters give out a truer sound.

Measurements for a bookshelf speaker. The CBM 170.
frequency_listeningwindow.gif

Pretty flat I'd say, and far from an exception.
Check out the speaker measurements at soundstage.
After a quick browse, you will realize there are quite a few bookshelf speakers worthy of being called "monitor".

Now here are the measurements for the krk rp5.
Notice how it's not as flat.
frequencyresponse_onaxis_spliced.gif

Note: These are 3rd party measurements, and not manufacture claims.

Last edited:
baybelolife said:
Bookshelfs are designed to make everything sound good they "color" the sound. Moniters give out a truer sound.

I can't imagine a company like KRK, M-Audio, etc... would manufacture entry level monitors with a "truer sound"; otherwise people would just buy the Rockit line of speakers and not upgrade. I feel a lot of these companies put out these entry level monitors as a gateway so you would eventually upgrade (spend more money) on their higher priced models in the future.

The only reason I asked the question in my original post is that i'm using a good surround sound home theatre setup with good bookshelf speakers as my monitors right now and I want to know if it is worth it to spend money on KRK RP5 or similar type monitors; or am I just buying the same speakers as my bookshelf speakers?

Last edited:
i got the krk's. i like them. i used a 2.1 logitech set up for a bit and i was going to go the bookshelf speaker route after reading up but i said f*ck it. i got no complaints with them. might get the sub down the line. the only thing with bookshelfs is you would need an amp.

I mix my Beats on Bookshelf Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers...I got a kenwood Amp powering them..and it doesnt sound bad at all...

Not saying that Monitors are not a Beat makers best bet...Im still aiming to get me some real decent monitors....I'll still keep my HI-Fi stereo speakers just to check the mix...

I feel that if you just learn to use what you got and obtain the skills to compensate the mix on stereo bookshelf speakers you'll be straight...

But overall ......you still going to need so type of acoustics...whether you mixing on Monitors or Bookshelf Stereo speakers....

BKster

Last edited by a moderator:
and it also comes down to what your doing musically. I mean if your just making beats in your bedroom or in your living room then I wouldn't advise going all out. I would just get some basic speakers. Even a sub. But if your mixing music. Not just your beats then yes monitors are important. But people need to realize its 40% to 60%. Room acoustics being more important. Really. It makes a BIG difference. You can have decent monitors and a AWESOME room and be better off then AWESOME speakers and a room with tons of dips and reflections.

I actually own bookshelf speakers. A pair of Optimus STS-200's. I dont know any of the specs yet. I googled hoping to find a speaker replacement. And they sound pretty good. Even when i hear one of my two-tracks in a proper space i only hear minor touch ups that need to be made. Im sure a dedicated person can pull a decent mix out of book speakers but id prefer some tailored for audio engineering not general listening.

Tannoy reveal 5 a's with a ts8 sub or krk rokit 8's? or do i just stick with the 5.1 tls reference system i've got?
please response quick, the speakers could get sold anyday now
thanks

You could get away with just the Troll reveal 5's , butt :p , in your position though , the crossovers might be dodgy without sufficient bridge rectification .
:rolleyes:

GB Music Group/ Ruben Obed (Studio Monitors vs. Bookshelf Stereo Speakers

I,d like to take the time to adress this issue. Bookshelf speakers VS. Studio Monitors

As a Producer we all want the best, but we need to also see things from a logical perspective. I myself mix on Stereo Bookshelf Speakers because in my opinion its the same exact thing just marketed differently. My argument is that the most popular Studio Monitor known was the Yamaha NS-10 which originally was made as a bookshelf speaker, but due to how bad it sounded it was adopted my studios worldwide as a Studio monitor. Im not making this up, look it up online. Now, that being said, then I assume and its my sole opinion, that the words Studio Monitor is a marketing term to jack up the price of regular speakers making them seem specialized for mixing. To finish my argument, a speaker woofer, whatever you want to call it is a Magnet. Now, how on earth can you tune a magnet in order to make it have a Flat frequency response as Studio monitors should supposedly have???? I have no idea, but I use my stereo as a receiver and place the sound on flat and I mix with the speakers. I have many customers and I verify my mixes on various headphones. NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAINTS. Therefore you decide.
Sincerely,
Ruben Obed/GB Music Group
Ruben Obed (OFFICIAL MYSPACE) | Kostnadsfri musik, turnédatum, foton, videos

yeah its not what u have its how u use it .. period ...

its not the painters brushes or his paint nor his canvas its the painter himself ...

iT'S WORST TO SIT SIT BACK AND NOT MIX AT ALL JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE THE IDEAL SITUATION REGARDING AN UNTREATED ROOM OR LACK OF IDEAL EQUIPMENT. BACH WAS DEAF YET IS ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS CLASSICAL MUSIC COMPOSERS OF ALL TIME. THE IDEA SHOULD BE NO LIMITS.
RUBEN OBED/GBMUSICGROUP

Not to encourage anyone to stick with poor acoustics, but a quick scan of youtube vids will show many popular producers making beats in less than ideal conditions.

Example 1

^Not ideal by any means. Big glass windows, monitors in corners, and the room seems odd shaped. Not to mention there is no visable room treatment.
Room reflections seem audible on the video.

Example 2

No visible bass traps, and only some sparse foam for room reflections that you can hear on the video.

Example 3 (the other end of the spectrum)

Alchemist has Traps everywhere on the walls, and corners, and you don't hear the refections in the video like you do the other 2.
This is a pretty ideal room by the looks of it.

Now the 1rst 2 are probably tracking out for mixing engineers in proper rooms, but if they are like most beat makers they do a little sound design on their beats during the whole process.
They seem to get by just fine.

For the record I stand on the side that says room treatment is important.
I was just pointing out some obvious examples of success in crap acoustics to stirr the pot a little.

Production and professional mixing are two different things. Good points to bring up though.

Production and professional mixing are two different things. Good points to bring up though.

Yeah, I brought it up in part since the OP may very well just want to make beats in his bedroom, and not do any professional mixing.
At the same time there is a blur between producer, and mixing engineer when the producer decides to eq, and add some compression before tracking out, so it essentialy becomes mixed twice.

How many times are you making a beat, and think this would snare needs a 3db bump a 4khz, and this kick needs a 2db cut at 250hz, and you do it anyway despite knowing a ME will handle the mixing?

Last edited:
Back