Imageline Maximus vs FabFilter Pro L

I only use the Max Loudness preset on Maximus(Put it on the master bus; try it out). You dont need Pro-L really...

Pro-MB, EQ, and De-Ess is the only ones I would use from them.

I only use the Max Loudness preset on Maximus(Put it on the master bus; try it out). You dont need Pro-L really...

Pro-MB, EQ, and De-Ess is the only ones I would use from them.

I noticed that Maximus has a multiband limiter too. Do you prefer using the Pro MB over the Maximus Limiter and if so, why?

No, I do not prefer Pro-MB over Maximus... I stopped using other multibands many months ago; they really confused me into "why do I need this thing?".

In Maximus, You can just edit pre/post gain to lvl out The Lows and Highs accordingly towards the Mids(which should be left alone).

Unless you specifically desperately need any of the many functions in Pro-MB, i'd stick with what you have available right now. It's not like you're going to hear much difference unless you're really on top of your game. Also the Pro-MB eats a lot of cpu and as of today, I'm really not familiar with Maximus so you won't be getting a comparison from me. :P

Unless you specifically desperately need any of the many functions in Pro-MB, i'd stick with what you have available right now. It's not like you're going to hear much difference unless you're really on top of your game. Also the Pro-MB eats a lot of cpu and as of today.

Listen to this guy. Hes Right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I do have Ozone/ Alloy 2 to work with but I need something a little more intuitive at this point. If the plugin is easier to use, then it's done it's job. I do realize that I may be able to get the same results from Ozone, but I find myself not really "getting" the GUI. I don't know why, I just don't. It's causing me to waste time. Let me make this clear, I made this conclusion after nearly 10 hours of tutorials in just this week.

I've tried mastering with the Maximus as well as using it on mixbus processing, but I can't help but hearing a strange sound when I compress or limit with it (or even just uploading it and leaving it passive).
Basically, the kicks starts to sound strange. And I've tried different settings. On other similar plugins there's no problem at all.
I think this has to do somehow that the Maximus completely screws up the waveform (add WaveCandy after the Maximus, play a sawwave and bypass it on and off, you'll see how the waveform changes in some strange way, sometimes with an audible tonal change).
It's a great and powerful plugin on individual sounds (since it has that manually editable dynamic curve), but I personally avoid using it on the master.
Oh and I always set it to default, so it's not any strange preset that I use.

Hey Guys! Thanks for the input and I did notice some things about Maximus I did and didn't like. I found that many of the other presets, other than Max Loudness would distort easily. I didn't like that. What I did like is the sound shaping capabilities just by expanding and it's intuitive screen. Compared to Ozone's Maximizer it's more flexible on controlling the actual sound of the music in basic ways. Can you so this stuff with Fab Filter Pro L?

I never used it....

Id rather you use just FL limiter.

My Master Bus @ ALL TIMES.

Doesn't hurt to experiment.

Maximus: Max Loudness(I made my own tho)

Pro-EQ : One Bell band @ 1-2k area/+1.35db/Q: 1.000

Fl Limiter : Gain = -2db / Ceiling = -4.9db / Saturation = -7.9db

Master fader all the way up. Control volume with The limiter. Add some stereo seperation

It sounds great. Ppl that record at my place always love the quality + its only FL Studio...

I might add other stuff to make it even better.

Last edited:
Hey Guys! Thanks for the input and I did notice some things about Maximus I did and didn't like.
I found that many of the other presets, other than Max Loudness would distort easily.?
many of the other presets

I found your problem. Don't use a preset.

You can take another thing away from this experience:
If you're using a preset with Maximus and you're easily reaching distortion,
you're probably mixing too hot.

Until you reach a point where you're concerned with the overall loudness of your song compared with others,
turn down all of your levels
and use a volume knob on your audio interface or monitor control system to adjust the loudness up to your liking.
When you reference your song against others for tonality/composition/etc. during the mixing stage,
turn down the song you're referencing until it's average levels are in the same ballpark as your own song's average levels.

As for FabFilter:
I use Pro-Q a lot, and enjoy its workflow.
I might use Pro-MB if I could afford it and didn't already have a few other multiband compressors
along with the ability to roll my own out of the single-band compressors I own.

You can create your own multiband compressor, too,
simply by using sends, EQs, and compressors!

The easiest way to do this is to use one of the plugins out there that will create your crossovers for you.
Those of us using REAPER already have a bundle including
JS:schwa/fft_splitter, JS:LOSER/(X)BandSplitter and JS:LOSER/(X)BandJoiner
(where X is either 3, 4, or 5, depending on the number of bands you want to create).

However you go about doing it,
once you've gotten your bands split up and sent out to separate channels,
you can use whatever compressors you want!
You can make a Triple-LA3A multiband if you're interested in something novel!

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
They are a lot of people who swear by this plugs specially the limiter but i prefer native instruments transient over inflator

NI's Transient Master is a transient designer.

Sonnox Inflator isn't.

I don't own a copy of Inflator,
but from my experience using it in the past,
and from the company's help manuals describing what to use it for,
it seems that it's a combination of a parallel exciter and a limiter.

They keep the exact mechanism under wraps
as it's one of those plugins that's sold under the premise that it's doing something "magical".

Anyway,
regardless of its method,
the Inflator is designed as a tool intended to increase average perceived loudness.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Inflator is the most overrated wave shaper ever. It's clearly not a limiter. It simply produces even harmonics.

Back