If you had 5 grand

Am I the only person in here that goes for the whole 1 mic fits all thing? (most recording engineers will probably hate me for this one).

^^^Agreed. I always notice how critical I am of sound quality compared to the average music consumer, but engineers are like 2 steps above that and I just think it's unnecessary.

I get good enough quality with my $100 mic and $150 pre. I know having a U87 and an Avalon would be better than that, but if I had that I certainly wouldn't be sayin "Ah shit this mic doesn't go well with this artist".

Am I the only person in here that goes for the whole 1 mic fits all thing? (most recording engineers will probably hate me for this one).

I agree about mics infact lots of engineers know this. A $10,000 mic is barely better than a $300 one.

But preamps are very very different. Compare an M-audio pre to an Apogee or Avalon... No comparison. And that's not even the super-high end stuff.

And one mic can't fit all. That '57 that you throw on the snare will NEVER sound great on a kick drum or a bass, and vice versa. That Nt1-a that you track your vocals with will never compete with an i5 for guitars, etc.

Last edited:
^^^But why? It's not like a mic records differently when it's recording a guitar rather than a person.

SONAR V-Studio 700 & some Room Treatment

sonar-v-studio700.jpg

Last edited:
^^^But why? It's not like a mic records differently when it's recording a guitar rather than a person.

Different mics have different character, the response curves matter A WHOLE LOT. I (usually) prefer to use a warm mic on higher voices, and a bright mic on lower voices. But if you one have one mic, you can just e.q. it, but e.q. can only do so much.

I agree about mics infact lots of engineers know this. A $10,000 mic is barely better than a $300 one.

But preamps are very very different. Compare an M-audio pre to an Apogee or Avalon... No comparison. And that's not even the super-high end stuff.

And one mic can't fit all. That '57 that you throw on the snare will NEVER sound great on a kick drum or a bass, and vice versa. That Nt1-a that you track your vocals with will never compete with an i5 for guitars, etc.

Can't say I entirely agree that a 10 grand mic is barely better than a $300.

There is only one mic that can fit all: The U67. Except inside a kick drum.

^^^Agreed. I always notice how critical I am of sound quality compared to the average music consumer, but engineers are like 2 steps above that and I just think it's unnecessary.

I get good enough quality with my $100 mic and $150 pre. I know having a U87 and an Avalon would be better than that, but if I had that I certainly wouldn't be sayin "Ah shit this mic doesn't go well with this artist".

I'm not on that level as an engineer yet either but I'm getting there. I just think the better your ears get the more quality you will reach for.

But 1 mic def does not fit all.

I'm lucky because I don't have to worry about recording drums. I agree that you need a whole array when it comes to that but with Hip Hop vocals my SM7b does the trick. Have a friend up the road with a Rode NTK and it works a treat as well. :cheers:

yeah I believe this mic<preamp!!!!!
SM57 and a high end preamp is going to work wonders.

I plan on getting
SM57 using it for guitar tracking
SM58 for vocal tracking
also these mostly for vocals the (matched pair) stereo recording of guitars

modified Oktava MK-319 Mic $600
mod MJE-K47H Mic $500
New Modified MK-012 MSP2 with Premium Electronics Small Condenser Match Pair $700

total cost on mics $2,000 on a very decent mic locker

along with four fivefishaudio preamps

FiveFish Studios
(2) X-72mk500 Mic Preamp big and punchy sound
(1) MX5-mk500 Mic Preamp warm coloration
(1) X12-mk500 rock, and aggressive music aka the wild vocalist lol
four outstanding preamps the audio samples sound good
total $2,000

high end AD/DA converters
Aurora 16 $2,000 used or less on gearslutz classifieds

total mic chain $6,000
and tons of versitality to matchup vocalist/guitar with mic and preamp

so I think we really need to look for deals on mods like this setup great price and very good quality getting highend results without spending highend prices used...used..used..used..lol
have a clear vision on building up a mic locker..
and having a few different
unique,clean,and character preamps
done ranting!!!!!!

the most important stuff is monitors and room treatment, imo. Leave analog compressors and stuff like that for when you are richer. Hehe...

I would buy a maschine along with Komplete Sounds. I would purchase a Motif for my keyboard and harmony sounds. The maschine works very well for bass and knock. Komplete has over 12,000 sounds that are incorporated in the maschine when installed.

$5,000 is a weird number for me. I have basically everything I could want in my current setup.

Sure, I could upgrade, but the only place to go from here would be a full, custom-built commercial studio. $5,000 wouldn't be enough for that.

I could spend $5,000 on gadgets but I've basically got every gadget I could need.

I guess I'd head over to KVR and spend it slowly on the used software marketplace. I've already got several options for almost every basic type of tool, so the money would change hands slowly. I would be spending money on only niche specialty plugins, like Waves Center or Q-Clone (Q-Clone, btw, is an AWESOME tool for visualizing what your "vintage-modeled" EQs are doing).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back