If you are good at what you do...

dvyce

...you need to charge more for your services.

And if you are not good at what you do, you shouldn't offer your "professional" services until you improve.

This is exactly what is killing the music industry.

If you give your services away too cheaply, nobody will respect what you do and you are only hurting yourself and the music community.

Devaluing the services of musicians and engineers is killing us all.

I think a lot of it depends on how well your known and the living expenses in the area you're living.

-If you haven't received work because you're charging too much for the area you're living in then you're probably not getting very known. This causes a circle that could be difficult to get out of.

-What about if you're really good at what you do and charge little compared to others? This could bring lots of business, and a great attitude when clients come to your studio.

-I think your statement is very law-like with a lot of exceptions that could dismiss the law.
Just some thoughts I had on your post.

I also wanted to add that there are several factors that I see that contribute to the problem.

Easy entry into the market via internet (youtube, twitter, myspace, reverbnation, soundclick, etc.) Easy entry into recording/production due to lower equipment prices. You can also throw a lack of mentors and good teachers that are accessible for good measure. In addition, a lack of business knowledge and the fact many are uninspired contribute to the problem as well. Finally, not knowing your strengths and weaknesses and wearing too many hats just kills it.

Back