Ideal Rvox settings/ presets for Lead Vocal

B

bc05

Hi there

I'm recording vocals over rock pop songs with a rich male tone to the voice ala Jeff Martin from Tea Party.
I use Nuendo 2 and run my Rode NTK mic thru a Focusrite Trakmaster HOT into the mixer then to the PC.
I read Rvox helps thicken vocals and I always run it at the preset "25db no gate".
Is there a better one for this plugin with this type of vocal?
Need WARM CLEAR TONES baby!

Any help appreciated.
Also advice on Focusrite Trakmaster settings for voice is helpful too!

Well I've never herad/used that plugin,You can have your artist sing the same track again and have 2 or maybe 3 vocal tracks,that way it should be thicker,another idea if re-singing is out of the question is to copy the voal track to another track or many tracks (Layering).... Another idea is to if you wanna just work with 1 vocal track is apply some muilt tap Delay.

Good luck
Dreaminginstereo

R VOX IS DAMN GOOD FOR VOCALS.TURN IT UP ABOUT HALF WAY AND DO THE SAME WITH THE GATE.YOU SHOULD BE ALRIGHT.

sorry for the caps....

Doppler? what did u use that for. Im interested to know because ive never actually found any use for it. I know what it does, and it could be good for messing the pitches up to make something sound like its passing by quickly, but on vox...??

there's no ideal setting for rvox. all songs are different. you might see that simply placing rvox at 4 and turing up your faders you'll have a better sound vs at 20 trying to keep your faders down.

if you track hot into nuendo you'll see that anything over like....16 perhaps 14 will sound squashed to sh!t.
if you track hot.. keep rvox between 4 and 12. if you have a decent amount of headroom you can get it a little higher with out feeling like the dynamics are gone... i tend to use 2 rvox or 1 rcomp, 1 rvox on lead vox...

the song i just finnished:
Rode K2 > Api 312A(bae) > distressor > 1010 > Nuendo 3

1)Rvox @ 6 (no gate)
2)Hydratone (i love this eq)
3)Rvox @ 6 (no gate)
i have no need for the gates.

great sounding reverb via Roomverb m2 and masterverb and the vox sounded great.

this was a rented chain but as of next week my new main vocal chain will be:
K2, Tlm193 > api 312a > ProVLA / 160XT
probably pick up a 1073 or 1084 by the end of the year seeing that they're both under $3k

5am said:
Doppler? what did u use that for. Im interested to know because ive never actually found any use for it. I know what it does, and it could be good for messing the pitches up to make something sound like its passing by quickly, but on vox...??
i too am rather interested. i've used doppler.. but i'd never use it on a lead vox.. let alown any vox.
i've used it when doing a 5.1/7.1 score on overall ambient sounds or ocean samples in the score but vox...thats a new one

just tried somethin while mixing a session today.
i was tryin to tame a female vocalist voice with out sounding overcompressed.
2 rvox sounded ok but i wanted something cleaner.. the rcomp didn't give me the sound i wanted either. i ended up having a group of:
1) Sonalksis sv-315 compressor
Thresh:-10
ratio: 6.5:1
Knee: 24
Setting number 2
Attack: 20ms
release 171ms

2) Hydratone (of course i can't give everything away)

3) Waves Rvox @ 6
no gate

4)Waves Rdeesser

one of the best vocal performances i've ever had

Back