i need tips for mixing adlibs to make them pro.

D major

yesterday i was doing some recording and tryied a different technique and it seem okay but was just wondering if there are better ones. I had the main vocals and two adlibs both panned left and right about 30 percent. What i did was pitch the right adlib down one percent and just left the other alone. it just just okay but like i said i wanna the best methods to producer that nice phat sound of vocals. In the past i did four adlibs pitch 2 down and leaving 2 regular but not sure if this is a bit much.

ps. In a typical hooks how many time should a hook be stack not including the lead hook?Is it 4 or just 2

For rap music I pan the adlibs 100 percent L and R. I'll throw a simple stock compressor on em and squash em. I usually have them hanging out in the back, back, back of the mix so the drastic compression makes them more "present" for their distance. (at least that what makes sense to my ears anyway)

For hooks, the way I mix, its not so much how many stacks you have. I try to have the verse come slammin straight through the middle of the track and when its hook time I'll pan it. This really opens up the hook and gives the listener a different dynamic. Rap is so mundane because of the 4 16 8 16 8 16 8 8 forumla that you really have to make your hooks sound special. Mess around with different ideas and resist the urge to stack vox to make things sound "better".

well yeah of course the adlibs will be compressed but but do you use different setting of compression compared to the lead vocals?

Yes they are compressed differently. My leads are compressed 3, maaaaybe 5 db and the backround voxs usually get squashed arou d 10db. Hope that helps.

this is what i do for that "PRO" sound... with the adlibs... i cut some of the frequencies i boost on my mains.. and than i boost the adlibs around 2-3k for a different presence. This is done so that on the adlibs they are not battling for "in your face" 4-7k(cut of this freqs), and boosting it around 2-3k with a Q of 2 or 3 which ever is the thinner.. that boost will give yu an almost "in your face" presense but from a distance.. and also put a different reverb type and to fade it even more.. i put the mix on the dry at about 80% and your wet about 10-16% try that..

also record 3 adlibs.. and put them like this.. (see if yu like this) L57% and R43% and the third leave it in the middle.. and that one will go down deep in the tuck..

see how that works for yu!

Back