I lose lowend on kick when i use a compressor.

BeatsByD

I am trying to learn compression so i am trying to compress different kicks to get an understanding for it.

I wanted to ask you guys to get an understanding of compression.

1. Why do i lose lowend as i lower the threshold ?

2. What happends to a the sound of a kick with, lets say attack at 0 and if the attack is at 30ms?

3. I notice when i make the attack slower, the volume of the kick gets higher, why ?

Also i would ask the same question about the release.

4. I notice when release is at 1ms the kick gets squashed. Why ?

I then took the relase all the way to 4000ms, and i didnt notice a difference in the kick from like 100 and to 4000ms (Maybe because i dont know what to listen to lol)

Any answers is appreciated, i know you wouldnt want the release at 4000ms but im just experiencing, and i feel like if i get these answers i will understand this alot better

Last edited:
How to save the low end when compressing ?
  1. Increase the attack time. 50 ms is a good starting point.
  2. EQ the side chain when possible. Cutting the bass there makes the compressor less drastic in the low end.
  3. Using a long release time avoids distortion in the bass. 500 ms is usually enough.

Last edited:
Also..
The compressor is activated by the signal that crosses it's threshold.

Typically the low end has more energy than the highs, (see frequency analyzer)
so a compressor generally will get triggered by the lower/louder frequencies.

That's why some comps have a high pass filter in the side chain,..
so when the HP filter is engaged, the bottom frequencies don't trigger the threshold as much
as the mids and highs do, and in turn the mids and high see more compression.

2. What happens to a the sound of a kick with, lets say attack at 0 and if the attack is at 30ms?
When you set the attack slow, you let more transient attack or leading edge of the audio pass through more untouched.
As you make the attack faster, the leading edge of the sound gets compressed /grabbed quicker.

3. I notice when i make the attack slower, the volume of the kick gets higher, why ?
See 2

When you have a wicked quick release it creates sort of a bloom or inverse effect where the
leading edge of the sound gets dragged down right away.

Depending on where you set the hold function, that signal can come right back up or last as long as you set it.

I then took the release all the way to 4000ms, and i didn't notice a difference in the kick from like 100 and to 4000ms (Maybe because i don't know what to listen to lol)
Depends how long the signal that passes over threshold last for.
4000ms is 4 seconds. That's a long time. Usually the beginning of the signal has the most amplitude and then it trails off,
so a long 808 could last for a bit, but typically a kick is a relatively short signal.

When compressing or limiting, the signal that crosses the threshold gets attenuated or lowered creating less dynamic range,
..and then there's make-up gain that can bring the overall level back up a bit if needed. gl

Last edited:
Also..
The compressor is activated by the signal that crosses it's threshold.

Typically the low end has more energy than the highs, (see frequency analyzer)
so a compressor generally will get triggered by the lower/louder frequencies.

That's why some comps have a high pass filter in the side chain,..
so when the HP filter is engaged, the bottom frequencies don't trigger the threshold as much
as the mids and highs do, and in turn the mids and high see more compression.

Interesting. Could you please elaborate a little, I'm trying to wrap my head around this particular impact. Let's say there is a side chained compressor ducking the bass guitar fed by the kick drum. Furthermore let's say the side chain comp also has a hi-pass filter engaged at say 85Hz. The way I understand what happens in this case is that because there is a side chain that filters out the kick drum frequencies below 85Hz, this adjusts when the threshold is exceeded so that instead of having the bass guitar ducking when the kick drum feeds the compressor to exceed the threshold due to a lot of frequencies below 85Hz in the signal, the bass guitar is ducking when the kick drum instead feeds the compressor to exceed the threshold when the kick drum's signal exceeds the threshold due to the signal being rich in frequencies above 85Hz. The net effect is then that when the kick drum is loud in the mids and highs, the bass guitar - that is rich in low frequencies - is ducked so that there is a temporary height increase in the mix on those hits and the kick drum needs to be louder in the frequencies below 85Hz before the bass guitar is ducked, meaning that the transients below 85Hz are allowed to have higher peaks because it is not ducking the bass guitar as much when the kick drum is very active in the frequencies below 85Hz. The effect is also that the more mids and highs on the sound source that ducks the other sound source, the more will the other sound source be ducked. So when the sound source that is being ducked is rich in low frequencies, you get the effect that the louder the mids and highs are of the sound source that is ducking the other one, the greater the temporary mix height increase will be because then it ducks the lows more. Ultimately this shifts the mix fundamental a bit higher and must have an impact of shifting the listener's attention to the dynamics towards the mids and highs, which is great for impact. That's then just that particular impact on that particular sidechain configuration, I'm then thinking that you can do all kinds of interesting things with this in various configurations and also when you instead have a lo-pass filter applied on the sidechain.

This technique must work great even when mastering, I have to try this, thanks a lot for mentioning this!!

Last edited:
Side-chain when mastering?

Not sure what the point would be of compressing a kick but using a highpass filter on the compressor chain. The high frequency content of a kick happens at the start anyway. You're just indirectly increasing it's threshold.

Loss of low end through dynamic compression can only be explained by the compression itself if there is low frequency stuff happening in its own at a loud level. Even if low frequency stuff peaks high (which it does usually) the compressor is still wide-band. It ducks all frequencies at once. If the low kick is causing the compressor to reduce it'll reduce everything. You'll lose low end and high end proportionately (leaving aside perceived differences at different levels).

On a mix a wide-band compressor can only selectively reduce bass frequencies if the bass frequencies are happening at different times to other frequencies. That's just a mechanical fact. A high pass filter on the compressor peak follower just reduces the magnitude of the compression it can't change the compressors inherently wide-band behaviour.

Last edited:
@ MarcDHall,

De-essing (old school) can be obtained by boosting the problematic frequencies in the compressor side chain. Feel free to run your own experiments of EQ on the side chain.

Last edited:
Which isn't selectively reducing any frequency. Wide-band de-essing is reducing all frequencies at selective times.

A gain stage can't EQ something.

Interesting. Could you please elaborate a little, I'm trying to wrap my head around this particular impact.
This will probably explain it quicker.
Why a Sidechain High Pass Filter in a Compressor Makes Sense | www.sknoteaudio.com
I sometimes high pass the signal triggering the compression using the Foote P3sME or sometimes use frequency dependent compression where you can target a certain area if needed. A lot of times just just a small bit of gain reduction can do the trick, because you're basically fine tuning... but I like using the Tube Tech SMC2B quite a bit. gl

Why a Sidechain High Pass Filter in a Compressor Makes Sense | www.sknoteaudio.com
I sometimes high pass the signal triggering the compression using the Foote P3sME or sometimes use frequency dependent compression where you can target a certain area if needed. A lot of times just just a small bit of gain reduction can do the trick, because you're basically fine tuning... but I like using the Tube Tech SMC2B quite a bit. gl

Thanks a lot my friend!

I think the third picture on that article as well as the theoretical foundation is wrong, I had the same misconception myself until very recently when a FP member highlighted this and I went into the studio and did measurements and found out I had misunderstood this specific thing based on stuff I had read. The compressor actually does not act on whatever frequencies are exceeding the threshold although they are within the transient, it brings down the gain on the whole signal according to the instructions set by the comp settings. Please read my latest post about the impact, it should be more correct is my current understanding.

1. The compressor action isn't trigged by a peak value. The threshold is related to the signal level value averaged on a time window.
  2. When some frequencies are excluded or emphased by equing the side chain, this pseudo RMS value is modified.
  3. As a consequence, despite the compressor action is full range, it can be frequency dependent if the side chain is equed.

1. The compressor action isn't trigged by a peak value. The threshold is related to the signal level value averaged on a time window.
  2. When some frequencies are excluded or emphased by equing the side chain, this pseudo RMS value is modified.
  3. As a consequence, despite the compressor action is full range, it can be frequency dependent if the side chain is equed.

Yes, that's true, as soon as you bring in an EQ filter on the signal that is side chaining, then when that ducks the signal that is being compressed, it will act differently because the input of the ducking frequencies are different and hence exceeds the threshold at different states. This should be true given that the EQ sits on the signal that is ducking the sound source that is being compressed (and not on the signal that is being compressed), which is my current understanding. But given that you are not forced to use a built in hi-pass filter on the side chain section of a comp, at least by bussing the side chain it is possible to do this and then you also have the freedom to anything else such as applying a lo-pass filter instead. So there is some awesome room for creativity with this particular technique.

Last edited:
You can't EQ with a gain stage. We can go round this merry-go-round all day.

Also the op didn't mention deessing or filtered sidechains or even bus compression. Adding a lowpass to the filter of a compressor on a kick only reduces the gain reduction. Its not a difference in EQ.

Last edited:
I am trying to learn compression so i am trying to compress different kicks to get an understanding for it.

I wanted to ask you guys to get an understanding of compression.

2. What happends to a the sound of a kick with, lets say attack at 0 and if the attack is at 30ms?

Also i would ask the same question about the release.

I then took the relase all the way to 4000ms, and i didnt notice a difference in the kick from like 100 and to 4000ms (Maybe because i dont know what to listen to lol)

Any answers is appreciated, i know you wouldnt want the release at 4000ms but im just experiencing, and i feel like if i get these answers i will understand this alot better

Know this is old, but I'll help if I can.

1) On top of what everyone else has said, are you even sure you're losing lowend? Lowering the threshold is going to the overall volume unless you have automatic make up gain. Otherwise, as people have said, lower frequencies peak higher, but kicks can have all sorts of frequency changes. There may be a 60hz tone for only 15 ms and then the rest is high end. Who knows. That initial portion is going to be a lot quieter and the high end will be brought up louder. This is a really rough explanation, but it's one of the possibilities

2) You just let more of the initial sound through before it's fully compressed. This is a hard control to explain without the context of the threshold, as it can be useless depending on where the threshold is. Generally speaking, attack is used to allow more of a transient through, and transients can tell you a lot about a sound. But a lack of transient can also push a sound back and get it out of the way of sharper things. It's another way to separate sounds. You don't want everything to have a sharp transient or everything to have a completely flattened transient.

The attack control is also hard to give you any numbers for, because it depends on the kick AND it still will affect transients. If you set the attack control to 30ms, it's not like the compressor is not working at all for 30 ms and then suddenly goes from 0-100. It's a gradual rise in gain reduction, and that can still "shape" your transients in a way. This is getting a little ahead of ourselves though, but if you want to know more about this, ask.

3) Do you mean you hear it being louder or you see it peaking louder? It's absolutely going to peak louder if you do that, because almost every kick sample you have has a transient that peaks way louder than the rest of the sample. That doesn't mean you're going to hear it being louder, because different frequencies peak differently even though we hear them differently. You're also going to hear it being louder, just because rolling up the attack means less compression on that initial transient. And if your threshold and ratio were high enough to be compressing at all in the first part of the sound, you'll probably hear it get louder as you roll the attack up.

4) Well as a compressor gets lower on a source signal, lower release settings will have a few effects. The first one is obvious on snares, and it's a wooshing effect. Say your attack is zero and you're threshold is low enough to compress the first 50% of the snare sound. A release of 800ms on a single snare hit (as in not a song, just ONE hit) will mean you're immediately compressing every part of that snare, and even with the signal falls below the threshold, the release is so long that it keeps compressing it. You've essentially turned down the snare. As you increase this release from 800ms, to 200ms, to 100ms, to maybe 50ms, you will start to hear a wooshing effect. Instead of the snare being completely compressed, the tail end of it rises in volume as the release is kicking in. Initial Transient --> Gets quieter --> Suddenly the tail rises in volume. This woosh is sometimes used on whole drum patterns to create an artificial groove that wasn't there before. And this wooshing effect is often what's considered "smashed."

Now I'm not going to get super into the second effect, which is harmonic distortion, and you are almost certainly getting it with a release of 1ms. I typed out a long explanation, but I don't think it's necessary. Essentially, lower frequencies have slower oscillations, and when we start changing volume at the oscillation level, we get harmonic distortion. This is like waveshaping, though not exactly. The consequences are that signals with low end require a slower release time to get rid of distortion.

The reason you aren't noticing a difference between 4000ms and 100ms is probably because you aren't listening for the attack. Ideally, your kicks aren't so fast that they are within 100ms of each other. So your compressor is triggering, and then gradually releasing for 100ms as the signal falls below the threshold. When you have a release of 4000ms, you're essentially just turning your kick track down forever, no matter what your attack is. It compresses, and before it can release at all, another kick comes at the same volume. It compresses still. It's essentially always compressed. If you increase your attack to 50ms, it will only let in the transient of the first kick. The release is so slow that the next kick is still compressed, so the transient isn't being let through. Hopefully, with a release of 100ms, your compressor is recovering fast enough that it lets every transient through, if you were to have an attack of 30-50ms. if your attack is 0ms, you probably won't hear a difference between 100ms release and 4000ms.

Back