I just cant get my beats to sound good

TriK2001

Hey! My name is TriK im 15 years old and im producing for about 1,5 year... and i have a problem right here... im working hard on my beats...im really trying but i just cant get my beats better... can someone help me a little bit??

Last edited:
Are you saying that you can't hear any improvement in your tracks compared to a year ago?

Also that black text doesn't really work with the desktop version of the forum.

I originaly writed this: Hey! My name is TriK im 15 years old and im producing for about 1,5 year... and i have a problem right here... im working hard on my beats...im really trying but i just cant get my beats better... can someone help me a little bit??

Last edited:
i can see huge improvements but its not good... its wack AF

To me it sounds about right though. You're young and you have only been at it for a short time (yea 1,5 years is a short time) and you're seeing huge improvements so what exactly are you having problems with?

To me it sounds about right though. You're young and you have only been at it for a short time (yea 1,5 years is a short time) and you're seeing huge improvements so what exactly are you having problems with?
I try to make beats like the pros and i just cant reach that no matter how much time i take on the beat or how hard i try

I try to make beats like the pros and i just cant reach that no matter how much time i take on the beat or how hard i try
You're comparing your beats to tracks that have been mixed and mastered by seasoned professionals. It takes years to develop that kind of skill. DM me your email and I'll mix one for you if you'd like.

Last edited:
the goal should be to make one little step forward

today you learn what reverb is
tomorrow you learn what compressor is
one day you learn more about eq, about chords

if you keep making these little steps forwards you are doing good, that just doesn't come without loving music and enjoy what you do there, enjoy the progress

you take an eq you boost here and there for fun, enjoy learning new things

1.5 years is insanely short. I know it doesn't feel like it, but it is.

I made this in like April of 2013 and I've been doing this since June 2010. View attachment im too sick test.mp3

Recently I made this. https://soundcloud.com/gabe-hawk/carpet-romance

You're in a weird place right now. You're starting to hear the differences between your beats and professional beats, and you're going to want to improve them. I mean I made that bad beat back when I could start hearing the differences. I made this when I first started out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdM4HtBSFks

I've actually left up a few beats on that channel. I don't use it anymore and they're all bad. Late Night is supposed to sound bad because it was a joke song, but it's not like I could've made it much better at the time.

Unfortunately it's probably the most painful time of producing. You're going to need to push through it. I recommend a few threads. Why do your recordings sound like ass? - Cockos Confederated Forums <----(this guy is a fucking genius).

He also references an important thread he also posts in. Acoustical Science/Philosophy Showdown - Cockos Confederated Forums

Also a couple things to keep in mind. You are going to ask people why you don't like your beats and you'll get a variety of answers. There's a few to be wary of.

1) It's all in the mastering.
-No it's not. It really isn't. Do not go waste money on a mastering engineer or on izotope ozone thinking that's why your beats aren't up to your standards. The problem is rooted FAR earlier in the production process.
2) It's all in the mix.
-Hard to argue with, but the stuff I've made that are my personal favorites were never really good because of the mixing. I liked them because of the arrangement decisions and the roles the sounds play.
3) You need (blank) for a DAW.
-While I will say that these people are generally the most unhelpful in terms of advancing your production, there is something to be said about the correct workflow. While a DAW itself will NOT affect the sound of your VST's or your recordings, having a workflow you like will absolutely affect it. If you find yourself struggling with basic functions in a DAW, you will more than likely make a worse song than if you were handling the DAW with ease. That being said, most DAW's have hotkeys or workarounds for issues people complain about all the time. Your DAW is probably a lot more capable than you realize. I would read the manual front to back. It can be quite fun. I personally never got along with Reason, and I find Pro Tools clunky, but I acknowledge I wouldn't think as much if I knew all the Pro Tools hotkeys and functions. Same with Reason.

I highly recommend reading the "Why do your recordings sound like ass" thread above, and the acoustical philosophy showdown as well. Listen to the poster "Yep." He knows what he's talking about.

Back