How to get a nice crisp vocal sound?

Gacki

So basically every time I record, I am so lost on how to "fit" the vocals into the beat.

What are the most important steps for mixing and mastering vocals into a beat?

make sure the levels of the beat is not over powering the vocals, listen and when you think the vocals sit nicely of the top then leave it at that, use compression also to make it fit nicely and also add some reverb

There's many different ways.. Everyone will pretty much say the same $hi+, but every track is different. I have uh AT2020 mic and most of the time I won't have to do anything at all to the vocals. Maybe just lower the vocal frequencies on the beat so the vocals sit better. Around 500Hz-2.5kHz. But like I said every track is different. Besides that maybe run the vocals through uh compressor,

when you practise enough,in a corrected room with your good monitors ,you will hear them.
They always are hihat or snare.
Hint:for beginners you can use stillwell's schope to see the overlap frequencies,then you will develop your own way of noticing it.:)

find the frequency of the beat that mask the vocal's frequency then cut them

For the first time ever on this forum, I actually agree with you - sort of.

It's important to not compromise too much of what you already have in the track. But, it's also important to ensure that there is room for vocals. So, yes, you are right: try cutting/dropping some db of some popularly used frequency ranges in the track. This will allow for your vocals to overtake them, and thus, have a higher presence within the mix.

how do you do that? how do you see what freq the beat is on?

Place a *graphic*equalizer on your master channel/bus and then, play your track. (If you don't have a graphic EQ, find one. If you're using FLStudio, the Fruity parametric EQ 2 is a graphic one.) Now, as the track plays, you'll notice that the graphic EQ will start lighting up, highlighting all the major frequencies that are being most used in your track. Use this merely as a reference to know which frequencies you should lower within your track.

Now, hunt down some of those bad boys and cut/lower some of their Db with an EQ. This will help free up space in the mix for your vocals. If it doesn't sound as good as before, don't worry, the vocals should help compensate later on.

Add your vocals back in the mix. Use an EQ on the vocals and boost in the range of the frequency/frequencies you just cut from other audio in the mix. If they still don't fit, EQ the vocals a bit more. They say you generally shouldn't compress vocals, but use some compression gain to compensate for volume to ensure it's slightly louder in the mix.

Hope this helped

when you practise enough,in a corrected room with your good monitors ,you will hear them.
They always are hihat or snare.
Hint:for beginners you can use stillwell's schope to see the overlap frequencies,then you will develop your own way of noticing it.:)

i tried that this morning......i started playing with certain frequencies and cutting them and found certain parts of the beat that were the clouding up the vocals so i cut them to make the vocals stand out better...i need a lil more practice still tho but im getting it

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

For the first time ever on this forum, I actually agree with you - sort of.

It's important to not compromise too much of what you already have in the track. But, it's also important to ensure that there is room for vocals. So, yes, you are right: try cutting/dropping some db of some popularly used frequency ranges in the track. This will allow for your vocals to overtake them, and thus, have a higher presence within the mix.

Place a *graphic*equalizer on your master channel/bus and then, play your track. (If you don't have a graphic EQ, find one. If you're using FLStudio, the Fruity parametric EQ 2 is a graphic one.) Now, as the track plays, you'll notice that the graphic EQ will start lighting up, highlighting all the major frequencies that are being most used in your track. Use this merely as a reference to know which frequencies you should lower within your track.

Now, hunt down some of those bad boys and cut/lower some of their Db with an EQ. This will help free up space in the mix for your vocals. If it doesn't sound as good as before, don't worry, the vocals should help compensate later on.

Add your vocals back in the mix. Use an EQ on the vocals and boost in the range of the frequency/frequencies you just cut from other audio in the mix. If they still don't fit, EQ the vocals a bit more. They say you generally shouldn't compress vocals, but use some compression gain to compensate for volume to ensure it's slightly louder in the mix.

Hope this helped

im not using FL, im using pro tools, the eq i was using was Waves Q10, i need to find a graphic EQ so i can practice seeing the freq's that the beat is on. Im not that familiar with master channels? how do i make a master channel, and when i do make a master channel does that affect every track automatically, or do i have to "send" whatever track i want to the master channel/bus like any other aux channel?

Back