How to gain stage your mic pre and interface

So I'm guessing that this should only be used on vocal recordings and not when you're making a beat, since you didn't actually record the sounds you're using to make the beat, so theres no possibility of distortion and no need for plenty of headroom in beats? Or am I wrong?

So I'm guessing that this should only be used on vocal recordings and not when you're making a beat, since you didn't actually record the sounds you're using to make the beat, so theres no possibility of distortion and no need for plenty of headroom in beats? Or am I wrong?

That is correct. And when you mix the beat you should mix down. If a sound needs to be louder turn everything down and then turn up the track that needs to be louder.

Morning_Star you should get some kind of FP award, seriously.

Thank you very much for the tip it helped clear up alot for a customer of mine who needed some clarification on why he needed to keep his recording levels down

This is one of the best posts I've seen on FP or any forum really!

The meters on the DAW channels are not Vu meters. They are FS (full scale) meters. This is the reason I posted this. Because if you don't know the difference then you are clipping your converters and getting a distorted sound instead of clean signal with good headroom.

If you use the meter on your DAW when setting your recording levels you have been clipping for about 18dbFS already.

Can I get this sticky-ed???

wwoooowww.... i don't think you realize how much you just helped me w/ this little post lol. I had no idea the DAW channels weren't Vu meters. That explains a lot of my distortion issues... too much gain.

can I buy you a ham sandwich or somthing? lol

Last edited:
Yeah man, great post. Compressor, eq and tape saturation plugs get all the talk, but the metering plugs get left out of the spotlight and are equally as improtant if not more. Good stuff morning_star.

This is a quick run down of setting up your mic and mic pre to properly work with your interface to get the highest quality and best recording. I'm posting this because I see so many problems with this.

If you are using Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, Reaper or FL Studio to record vocals first go here and download PSP vintage meter. There is even a AU version for mac.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/vmeter.html

If you are using ProTools then you can use the stock BF Meter Bridge.

Now load up your recording software and create a new audio track to record to. Make sure the gain on your mic pre is turned all the way down. (Remember that if you are using an external mic pre that the output needs to go to line in of the audio interface and not the mic input.)

Next make sure that the fader for your channel for recording vocals is at 0db. Now load the PSP Vintage Meter in the first slot. (BF Meter Bridge if using ProTools). Now click on the PSP logo on the plug-in to view the back. Make sure you change the 0vu refer level to -18dbFS. Now click the label to view the front again and make sure that the meter is on VU with the switch in the middle.

(for protools make sure the meter is set with the -18db button pressed in and the switch on peak)

Now while doing a mic check raise the gain knob of the mic pre until the PSP vintage meter reads close to 0db but never over. (BF Meter Bridge for ProTools) Leave it there for your vocal recording. If you change vocalist adjust the gain on the mic pre until you get the same signal in the meter. Enjoy clean vocals. If using a compressor make sure it's bypassed for this tutorial.

Could I set up a mono AUX track with a Bus so all vocals could go there like lead vocals, doubles, adlibs, etc. Just have the BF Meter Bridge as an insert on the AUX track

Could I set up a mono AUX track with a Bus so all vocals could go there like lead vocals, doubles, adlibs, etc. Just have the BF Meter Bridge as an insert on the AUX track

No. All the vocals will come through giving you a bad reading.

So basically every audio track should have the BF Meter Bridge as an insert, isn't that a lot of processing?
The signal is not actually being processed. And if you are talking about CPU load well... if a dozen or more instances of BFMB is giving you problems. Sounds like time for an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a quick run down of setting up your mic and mic pre to properly work with your interface to get the highest quality and best recording. I'm posting this because I see so many problems with this.

If you are using Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, Reaper or FL Studio to record vocals first go here and download PSP vintage meter. There is even a AU version for mac.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/vmeter.html

If you are using ProTools then you can use the stock BF Meter Bridge.

Now load up your recording software and create a new audio track to record to. Make sure the gain on your mic pre is turned all the way down. (Remember that if you are using an external mic pre that the output needs to go to line in of the audio interface and not the mic input.)

Next make sure that the fader for your channel for recording vocals is at 0db. Now load the PSP Vintage Meter in the first slot. (BF Meter Bridge if using ProTools). Now click on the PSP logo on the plug-in to view the back. Make sure you change the 0vu refer level to -18dbFS. Now click the label to view the front again and make sure that the meter is on VU with the switch in the middle.

(for protools make sure the meter is set with the -18db button pressed in and the switch on peak)

Now while doing a mic check raise the gain knob of the mic pre until the PSP vintage meter reads close to 0db but never over. (BF Meter Bridge for ProTools) Leave it there for your vocal recording. If you change vocalist adjust the gain on the mic pre until you get the same signal in the meter. Enjoy clean vocals. If using a compressor make sure it's bypassed for this tutorial.

When I have the meter set with -18db button pressed in and the switch on peak I'm going way over 0dB on the VU meter and I'm not screaming. I notice when I press the -15dB button I'm getting close to 0dB on the VU meter but never over.

Now note on my preamp my gain is at 18 dB and I have a little impedance added. I'm doing this with a little compression going in also just to gate out some noise I don't have foam up and all that other stuff like bass traps.

So my question is does it matter what button is pressed in on the meter calibration as long as you not going over 0dB on the VU meter in the BF Meter Bridge.

Back