Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do soundcards/audio interfaces affect quality?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    If you got a dedicated mic-pre then it would run into the line in on the focusrite and not the mic pre (this would impart less colour to the sound from the focusrite as it isn't adding as much gain to the signal) so you would still have the benefit of having a better mic pre. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    thanks a ton guys but one more question: can a soundcard affect midi, overall mix quality? I.e. when I export my track would it sound better if I had a better soundcard because it makes the file better quality or does the soundcard only affect playback? So if I listened to the same file on a computer with a different soundcard it would automatically sound a bit better

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stashspliffs View Post
    thanks a ton guys but one more question: can a soundcard affect midi, overall mix quality? I.e. when I export my track would it sound better if I had a better soundcard because it makes the file better quality or does the soundcard only affect playback? So if I listened to the same file on a computer with a different soundcard it would automatically sound a bit better
    You gotta read man. Maybe it wasn't clear... but it's already been said.

No.. the sound card doesn't affect the actual file on export. It only affects the audio you're inputting through it, and the playback coming out your speakers so you can make better mixing decisions. That's a big deal in itself. But no... if you're exporting a song, it doesn't matter what soundcard you use... it will sound 100% the same.

It affects midi performance b/c good soundcards offer lower latency (best seen as the time it takes for you to hear a sound after you press a key).
    www.conealusa.com - - Wearing these hoodies will make your music better.... How? It's science! Don't question science!

Thanks
    In addition to expanding your inputs and outputs, audio interfaces can also greatly improve the sound quality of your computer. Every time you record new audio or listen through speakers and headphones, the audio interface will reproduce a more accurate representation of the sounds.

Thanks
    In my opinion, one can produce great recordings using just an iphone mic. At these levels, people should not get stuck thinking about the gear they need to use etc. It really doesn't matter which audio interface you use in the beginning. Better to focus on your music and mixing techniques.

Clear example: If Armin Van Buuren will produce better quality music than me even with an iphone AND EVENTHOUGH if I have his gear, setup, audio interfaces etc.

Thread Information