How do i send beat to an artist for a feature? (wav, trackouts, ect)

Royalp

I plan on my engineer mix the whole song.. So do I send the artist that I plan to collab with a single wav file or a fully tracked out verson?

If the artist you're collaborating with is planning to contribute musically, then send the whole session. Hopefully he uses the same DAW and has the same virtual instruments. There is benefit to him being able to mute certain tracks, tweak instruments, change melodies and groove, etc.

If the artist you're collaborating with is just going to provide vocals, then a two-track WAV or mp3 is fine. He can make a new session with your two-track and his vocal tracks. Then he should send his multitrack session or a bounced version (uncompressed WAV) of each vocal layer for you to incorporate into your full mix.

If the artist you're collaborating with is planning to contribute musically, then send the whole session. Hopefully he uses the same DAW and has the same virtual instruments. There is benefit to him being able to mute certain tracks, tweak instruments, change melodies and groove, etc.

If the artist you're collaborating with is just going to provide vocals, then a two-track WAV or mp3 is fine. He can make a new session with your two-track and his vocal tracks. Then he should send his multitrack session or a bounced version (uncompressed WAV) of each vocal layer for you to incorporate into your full mix.

Thanks for the answer man... yeah this is a rap feature so I am just looking for vocals. I should of specified that..
But the only thing I don't understand is when you said "two-track WAV or MP3"...
Are you talking about 1 track of the instrumental and 1 track with my vocals?

Sorry, kind of a newbie....

Two-track = regular stereo track. So just one file; of course if you have some kind of a "guide vocals" version, send that as well, but "two track" just refers to the, well, two channels in a stereo file.

Back