How do I get that radio commercial compression sound?

Mofoman

Think of the car commercials, or even better the monster truck commercials?

"SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!"

How do I get that really crunched compressed sounds, what ratios, and settings would best achieve this sound?

I think it would come more from the mic(usually a Dynamic like the SM7b or RE20 and the lo fi radio signal. If you're talking TV commercials, they never sound as saturated as the radio ones.

Hire a professional engineer.

Blargh...that's why I'm here I want to learn. I fancy myself pretty good at mixing, considering what I have.

I've been looking at the RE20, but I considered it better for talking rather than music, but I may grab one just to have in my studio.

Thanx

Radio doesn't use the full spectrum... there for they need to squish and boost the f*k outta the signal. You'll more than likely need to try various eq settings before sending it to your dynamic affects.

I've done sound for about 40 tv commercials. And probably most of them were shouty car/truck commercials. I've also done a number of radio-only spots.

Trust me, it's not so much about the mic. I used all kinds of stuff and I've seen others use all kinds of stuff. SM7s and RE20s are common for radio spots mainly because they are good broadcast mics (they are pretty uniform, handle plosives, not too sensitive, durable, etc.) so they just happen to be there already at the stations. But radio spots in pro studios, I've seen everything from dyanmics, to U87s, so shotguns... doesn't seem to matter too much for the end result. In fact, when having logistical difficulties with a certain key V/O talent, I've litterally recorded the guy (who was awesome and well worth the money) in a freakin' parking lot with a medium grade lav (wireless even!) and it was all the same.

There are two main factors:

1) the talent. You either have good v/o talent or you don't. It's not a technical thing. That voice is that voice. There pretty much isn't anything you can do if they can't give you the voice.

2) As I mentiond before, slam it with compression. Soft-knee works best and a high ratio. Follow it with a limiter. You might be able to get away without the limiter if you use agressive enough compression, but I prefer adding the limiter (which can be a better approach if you have broadcast spec reqs). One other thing I might add is that even though they often sound deep voiced, you still often have to do some rather serious HPFing. Like 150Hz. The reason being that you typically have to cut through a bed of music and you typically are recording with a lot of proximity effect. The deep sound is generally the v/o artist so it will still sound like a deep voice.

So assuming you have v/o talent you like, the key is just the compression as I mentioned. And depending on the voice/usage possibly some heavy HPFing.

Thanx again. Trust the voice I am using is ideal for commercials/etc. Smashing it with a limiter, and adding a slap delay really helped a lot. As soon as I can I'll post the results.

Radio doesn't use the full spectrum... there for they need to squish and boost the f*k outta the signal. You'll more than likely need to try various eq settings before sending it to your dynamic affects.

I knew it. while in my car I heard zedd's new song with selena gomez on the radio and said this can't be how he mixed this song. the shit sounds horribly compressed. then I went to youtube (still in my car) and no shocker the track was in full spectrum. everything sounded clean and crisp. but why do it???

Hire a professional engineer.

how much you can pay them

o.png

I think it would come more from the mic(usually a Dynamic like the SM7b or RE20 and the lo fi radio signal. If you're talking TV commercials, they never sound as saturated as the radio ones.

+1 for the Shure SM7b, this mic is giving this ... "radio sound" without even adding post-process. Great mic for this kind of sound.

I knew it. while in my car I heard zedd's new song with selena gomez on the radio and said this can't be how he mixed this song. the shit sounds horribly compressed. then I went to youtube (still in my car) and no shocker the track was in full spectrum. everything sounded clean and crisp. but why do it???

They're probably trying to level all of the songs or something, instead of a technician changing the volume all of the time
No real reason they're probably just moron :)

Back