Thread: How do I get my kicks and snares loud and big while mastering?

Thanks

How do I get my kicks and snares loud and big while mastering?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I recently listened to an album called PARTYNEXTDOOR 3 (P3) and stumbled across an interesting thing about the actual mastering in the songs. The kicks and snares were so loud and "in your face".

Ex.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR - Not Nice
    PARTYNEXTDOOR - Come And See Me

How do I achieve these big drums?
    Last edited by Christian Ramirez; 11-28-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    It's best to have every thing @ the right level from the mixing stage before it reaches the mastering stage, but if you have no choose you can always use a multiband compressor and only compress the low frequencies...

Thanks
    EQ and compression basically. to acheive the "in your face" feel a lot of beginners just raise the volume of the kit but the problem with that is that sounds that rely on sheer volume will get will drown when dynamic range is reduced. So what you wanna do is find the freq's that are important for your kick/snare to stand out. A exercise is slapping a limiter and compressor on your master bus and try to acheive the loudest master that still has knocking drums.

Thanks
    What makes you think this is a mastering thing anyway? The mix should be about 95% there before it goes to mastering. If the kicks & snares are muffled and messy, mastering won't fix it (or if it does, then it's actually probably mixing).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing View Post
    The mix should be about 95% there before it goes to mastering.
    +1. It's more about getting the balance set in the mixing stage and not screwing it up in mastering. gl

Thanks
    In mixing session try to cut (with precisie Q) the biggest peak on EQ, compress it and saturate
    You can always fast-sidechain the snare but its not so simple sometimes and not recommended in 80% of songs

Peace
    Krystian San
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]Krystian San
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://www.krystiansan.com"]www.krystiansan.com[/URL] [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/krystiansan[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Thread Information