how can I listen in mono???

D

dirtysouthstunta

I'm running pro tools le, is there a way to listen to my mix in mono???

is there not just a mono button on the main?
if not create a mono buss and route the stereo out to there before heading to the regular output.

I asked this question recently. I think this is the best way to do it.

You need to create a stereo aux track before your master track. Set its input to any bus (the last two are probably easiest) and then set the output of your other tracks to the same bus. Keep the output of the aux track to the main hardware outs. Now when you want to listen in mono you need to move the left and right panners to the centre.

Hope I explained that well enough.

according to the answers of my thread "mono or stereo" you are already listening to your stuff in mono. Everyone has great information to pass on but they translate it too scientific for me. I'ma go for what i know, but look at my thread if you haven't already, maybe you can get some tips there.

okay, I'm sorry if I'm not very up to terms, but I don't really know what you mean when you say "the main" and also, from what you have said, it seems that I'm going to have to set every single one of my tracks to a bus in order to hear it in mono, are you telling me pro tools doesn't have a quicker way to do this?

dirtysouthstunta said:
okay, I'm sorry if I'm not very up to terms, but I don't really know what you mean when you say "the main" and also, from what you have said, it seems that I'm going to have to set every single one of my tracks to a bus in order to hear it in mono, are you telling me pro tools doesn't have a quicker way to do this?
I'm afraid not. There's an easy way to set all your outputs to the same bus though. Just ctrl-click and select each track you want to change the bus output for. Then shift+alt click one of those tracks and change to the correct bus. That'll change all your selected tracks as well.

pro tools does not have a mono output on the master fader. the only way you are going to get mono output is by sending all track(or aux) outputs to a centered stereo aux, which then gets sent to the master fader.

another way to check your mix in mono is to place a physical mixing board between your monitors and your D/A converters. from there you can center the pan pots.

(maybe that was easier to understand)

is it a big deal, I mean do I really need to be checking it in mono, that's just what I've heard

its not a big deal at all for small oporations. only for the big label releases that are going to be played everywhere. all sorts of tvs, radios, etc. some cheap/small radios/tvs are only in mono, so if you dont check for phase cancelation... half of your mix disappears!

.niknak

Back