getting kicks like young chop (or anyother good producer....)

Look for the Royale Beats drumkit. I believe it is free, it has the Chop snare and other decent drums.

Envision what you want them to sound like & then create them; it will save you a lot of time in the long run, & you can tweak the kick more readily to fit the beat you happen to be doing at the time.

the records you hear of young chop have been professionally mixed & mastered. you will not full achieve that sound until a later stage in the production of your record. but you can still get the to bump and shine through your mix, honestly its fairly easy you just need the proper drum sounds and boost the needed frequencies

Last edited:
layer drums, etc. And most of all, for me personally, get kicks that already sound great out of the box. SoundsinHD have greats sounding kicks

It's not one kick. It's at least two. An 808 and a normal punchier kick. The 808 has some kind of a harmonic emphasis going - probably something like maxxbass an octave above the fundamental tone.

Like someone else said. Go get a good kick to begin with. Gold in Gold out. Shit in Shit out. The basic kick you need is to be punchy because this is gonna supply the initial attack of the kick sounds. Boost a little between 1 and khz.

Next is for the boomy part. You need a synth that produces a sine wave(you can also use a square wave)Lessen the attack so that it kinda slides into being. Turn up the resonance a little bit so that it rings out a little bit. Make sure the sustain is turned all the way up so that it doesn't lose any power. Next put some distortion onto the sine wave and adjust it to taste.

Combine that with the basic kick and bam you have your signature lex luger/young chop/boomy kick

PM me and I'll email you a couple of 808 presets for 3xOsc,Sytrus,
for you as well to mess around with
for some reason it won't let me attach the preset?????????
here a video that took me 20 seconds to find as well

-Coach Antonio

Alot of here and there. But the biggest tool producers like Chop and Southside use parallel compression. Using this booming technique adds a lot of power to your kicks. Pending on which DAW tool you use, the likes for going about this process varies.

All in the mixing process....grab that kick with a tad bit high end & low 808 up under it...Subtractive eq is the win in this situation that 808 has to sit up under that kick..

Here goes the formula. Strong original Kick - EQ - Dope plugin like Rbass to make it punchy - MOST IMPORTANT Compression Threshold,Attack,Gain . Thats how u make that ***** turn up.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

You'll kids confused lol you'll think their kicks sound like that because their layering with sine's and 808's and idk what else, layering your kick wit an 808 is like a completely different deal, what about when you drop the 808 and just let the kick ride.

Here goes the formula. Strong original Kick - EQ - Dope plugin like Rbass to make it punchy - MOST IMPORTANT Compression Threshold,Attack,Gain . Thats how u make that ***** turn up.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

You'll kids confused lol you'll think their kicks sound like that because their layering with sine's and 808's and idk what else, layering your kick wit an 808 is like a completely different deal, what about when you drop the 808 and just let the kick ride.

Then if you are using the same kick adjust the EQ accordingly. All they do is have an 808 and a kick hit at the same time. The mixing engineer adds EQ and compression if and when needed, depending on the track. I think you are confused, they don't mean route both to the same channel.

This thread reinforces that you get out what you put in. Mix the kick pre-production and you'll be fine. I wish I could give suggestion on great sounding stock drums.....I dont know any.

Back