Gettin my snares to hit hard, my kicks to hit hard, and my 808 to stand out.

yes there is not one method for every thing, but jus simply eqing everything was not giving me the desired effect, i stated that on the thread. also i could not post links of the examples i had because im new.

If you ask me it looks like the guy is only trying to promote his video, if he would have read the thread he would see i already found a solution, which i posted that actually works to help other people out. Also he assumed i was adding tons of effects to my instruments which is not correct, the only thing i really was doing is exactly what he was doing in the video to every instrument. There are ton of videos on uploaded on youtube doing exactly what he is doing in this video.

Just checked his video out. Seems like he was giving you a tutorial on mixing instead of sound designing.
And that's where the confusion ends for the most part. Difference between mixing and sound design.
Both can be a part of each-other but not necessarily the same thing, separated by purpose.

Doing what the fella did in that video is mainly for making everything sit better in the mix, and doing it that exact way every single time will not work 100% of the time for different sounds and preferences as well. It can also be used to sculpt the frequency range of your sound too but I did not watch it long enough to see what was mentioned.

While experimenting with said software/hardware is the end all be all, it's good to learn some of these terms so that it makes the process quicker.
It seems like everyone who decided to answer the question, and myself included should have realized you were asking how to design a sound in the first place.

Last edited:
Try listening to a track you like at a very low volume on your monitors. Notice how the drums are Soooo much louder than everything else? Try balancing your mix at that very low monitor volume and checking it against your reference track. Might help!

Distortion + Compression on your 808s (if you're using a premade, you should consider just making one with a basic sine and saw wave)
Layer claps with your snare and mix it as you see fit ( throw a little reverb too)
Kicks, drop some of the low mids, and boost around 500-700 hz. roll off the lows, but boost it somewhere between 100-200.

Just some tips I use.

Back