Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (FL Studio) Weird volume changes between sounds.

Thanks

(FL Studio) Weird volume changes between sounds.

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'll keep it brief.

There's this apparent glitch happening while i'm creating my track, and i'm wondering if any of you have an idea on what it is and how to get rid of it, because it's blowing my mind.

I'm in my mixing phase and I have a kick layered with, and sidechained to a bass kick(not an 808). When I play the pattern with the master track selected it sounds like there's phasing problems between the two kicks, and the bass kick has a little distortion on it, but when i click track 1 those phasing problems magically go away, and the bass kick has no distortion on it. BUT, when i click track 5, the kick sounds lower than track 1, and the distortion the bass drum had when i had the master fader selected returns. Also, when this initially started happening i thought it was because i was using an older version, so i got a newer version of fl studio, and low and behold the problems still remain......WTF??????

Please help me guys. This is getting me down so much. I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Thanks
    Just to make things a little clearer.

You click on a track. Not a button, or anything else, but you just click on some random part of a track to select it and the sound changes? So, you're not turning any sounds or channels or tracks on or off, you're just clicking on it to select it?

Thanks
    And what are the compression settings you are using? Where is the "make-up gain" set? What happens if you take it out (no side-chain)?
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rhythmgj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Just to make things a little clearer.

You click on a track. Not a button, or anything else, but you just click on some random part of a track to select it and the sound changes? So, you're not turning any sounds or channels or tracks on or off, you're just clicking on it to select it?
    Yes. Absolutely right, with or without sidechaining. Also I forgot to mention thAt I'm using studio headphones hooked up to an audio interface.
    Last edited by GRiiM; 03-15-2017 at 06:15 AM.

Thanks
    Have you looked at the CPU meter while you are working? If the CPU meter is getting near 100 cracks and glithes will start appearing because your computer is trying process everything correctly but is lacking in CPU-memory.

Do you own a audio interface (soundcard) that is not the one that came with the computer? Larger projects usually require a more advanced audio interface then the default installed.

If you own a more advanced audio interface, have you tried increasing the sample rate? Low sample rate can usually create pops and cracks, increasing it increases latency but also increases sound quality.

Other than those tips above I would have to guess that the kick and bass are overlapping frequency-wise and you need to increase the sidechain-power or do some more in-depth EQing.

Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trout Beatz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout Beatz View Post
    Have you looked at the CPU meter while you are working? If the CPU meter is getting near 100 cracks and glithes will start appearing because your computer is trying process everything correctly but is lacking in CPU-memory.

Do you own a audio interface (soundcard) that is not the one that came with the computer? Larger projects usually require a more advanced audio interface then the default installed.

If you own a more advanced audio interface, have you tried increasing the sample rate? Low sample rate can usually create pops and cracks, increasing it increases latency but also increases sound quality.

Other than those tips above I would have to guess that the kick and bass are overlapping frequency-wise and you need to increase the sidechain-power or do some more in-depth EQing.

Good luck!
    I have it on the lowest buffer size(edited) possible and there's no underruns at all. And i'm fairly sure my eqing and sidechaining parameters are pretty solid. This is confusing lol.
    Last edited by GRiiM; 03-15-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    'buffer size' not 'sample rate'
    Recording | Mixing | Mastering | 1-on-1-Online-Tutoring

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Phonetics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GRiiM View Post
    I have it on the lowest buffer size(edited) possible and there's no underruns at all. And i'm fairly sure my eqing and sidechaining parameters are pretty solid. This is confusing lol.
    Try increasing the buffer size to max and see if that makes a difference? Jeez then I have no idea :O

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Phonetics View Post
    'buffer size' not 'sample rate'
    My bad!

Thanks
    I'm desperate enough to post the project on here just so you guys understand what i'm experiencing. If any of you would like to help out let me know.

Thanks
    UPDATE: Sorry for the double post. I found out what the problem was. Learned what gainstaging is. I just didn't know wtf i was doing with the mix. All is good now =).

Thread Information