Few 808 Questions

M

Musikal1

How exactly do you tweak your 808`s,Ive always had to change a sample to get a longer 808 with a longer sustain etc,Because when i do it myself the quality is kind of shitty or i never get the results i want.

Either use a sample with a longer decay or don't use samples at all - the 808 is a synth after all.

Very True,Recommend any VST that suits my needs? I just want to be able to tweak it.

D16 Group's Nepheton is a very nice & faithful 808 emulation. Audiorealism's ADM is also great & basically the 909 & 606 emulated along with the 808. E-Phonic does two nice and free plugins, which can do a decent impression (PC only though). Angular Momentum's KickLab XXL might also be of interest (PC only again). And of course there's a bunch of other drumsynths not directly emulating anything but capable of doing the deed. And, well, it's not that much of an act of magic to conjure up 808-likes from just about any subtractive synth with snappy enough envelopes :)

Checked out nepheton and it looks real dope,Downloaded the E-Phonic drumatic though it uses samples i think itll get the job done.
Thanks for the fast response & help.

Musikal1 said:
Downloaded the E-Phonic drumatic though it uses samples i think itll get the job done.

Drumatic 3 doesn't use samples at all; the VE version does, but it's more of a wavetable thing to make it work like a synth instead of just playing them back.

So I thought that 808 was made with the TR808 drum machine? Its made with a synth?

The TR-808 is a specialized analog synthesizer.

moses said:
a drum machine is usually a synth

This might be a bit too purist a view these days :) I'd say a drum machine is a box with drum sounds & means of building drum patterns. Whether the sounds are based on samples or not is another thing.

What program are you using? I bet you can do a 808 however you want it. You must be able to do a sine wave synth.. thats all you need.. Add a distortion filter to fatten it how you want.

Im trying to get that long 808 trap sound mostly,But id like to learn to make all types with it since im used to just clickin samples & layerin them

Generate a few sine waves at the frequency you want and then add the fades yourself. Easy solution to ridiculous bass tones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im trying to get that long 808 trap sound mostly,But id like to learn to make all types with it since im used to just clickin samples & layerin them

I am guess just use a synth using a sine wave and then modulate the pitch so it drops.

Use a mod envelope to pitch the OSC (Sine)

Envelope setting
Fast attack and a long decay

Make sure you turn up the amount knob on the mod envelope or you will not hear any change

---------------------------------------------------

If you are not going for a pitch drop but just a long 808

just turn up the decay on the AMP envelope

I just use the 808s in Fruity Drum Synth Live. That
"Drumatic 3" looks similar.
For those long 808 notes I always Eq, compress,, then maybe run it through a little bit of distortion. Sometimes a guitar amp plugin sounds good. Lightly though.

Last edited:
I just use the 808s in Fruity Drum Synth Live. That
"Drumatic 3" looks similar.
For those long 808 notes I always Eq, compress,, then maybe run it through a little bit of distortion. Sometimes a guitar amp plugin sounds good. Lightly though.

On FL Drum Synth Live Ive got my 808 setup to how i want it but i cant figure out how to play different notes of the same 808 for example make one long decay 808kick and play hi-low notes of the same 808,Instead it makes me pick another sound,not play a different note of the specific sound i tweaked(decayed 808kick).

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing. When your looking at the interface, click the box to the right that says "Selected" and bring it down to select witch drum sound you want to edit. (808 clave, 909 Hat C, 808 Kick, etc.)
Now. Under Oscillator 1 (OSC 1), You can adjust the decay time (DEC).

Now to variate the pitch you need to open up the piano roll. Place the notes you want on the 808 Kick then click "Velocity" at the top of the piano roll. Bring it down and select "Note Fine Pitch".
Now at the bottom, below your notes, where before you adjusted the velocity, you can adjust the pitch for each individual note.

This is the way I do it. There are other ways to do the pitch. You can just double click on the notes you placed to edit the individual Velocity, Pitch, Etc. or you can select "Channel Pitch" instead of "Note Fine Pitch" in the piano roll. But thats a little more complicated and it will go in as automation.

Hope this is what you need.

Last edited:
I would suggest using a Sine wave and layer it with a kick. A lot easier and you have absolutely complete control over it. But do you...

Back