exporting causes my mix to clip? FL Studio

ucheeeco

i'm using fl studio 10. when i export files in MP3 or Wav its causing the beat to clip very bad. Then after i export its doing something to the flp, giving it some kind of disorting feedback that is clipping terrible. My mix sets below -6db its not my mix. I have a great computer, very new custom built, the beat doesnt even use 10 cpu so I dont know whats happening.

If I play the beat before I try and export it sounds great.

Has to be something in the master channel. Check and make sure your limiter is on. The gain isn't turned all the way by mistake. That's the only thing i can think of

thanks 4 the help but I don't think it is. my limiters on, and after I export its showing that my mix is clipping mike crazy, but its really some strange feedback coming out of nowhere..

Try and export it again as a mp3 or somethin and see if you get the same thing

You sure it's not your mix? When you say that your mix "sets" below -6db, what do you mean? You slid the master slider down to -6, your looking at the master channel meter and seeing that it never hits above -6, etc?

when i have a db meter in my master bus it doesnt even pass 6 db, but after i export it and press play it creates some feedback thats wayyy over 0db. Ill post a clip of somthing

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

i figured out if i just record it in edison, and then save it from there it comes out fine. I just dont know if Edison degrades the quality.. oh welll

I've heard of some people with hacked VST's have that issue, not saying that you are but might wanna mute some VST's and just see if any are causing an issue.

Forget mp3 export. It isn't a production format because it's lossy. I don't have any idea of what is the source of your problem because I don't know FL. But you should try a 32 bit float PCM export to prevent any possible clipping.

Never use a limiter on the master channel lmfao. Throw on a compressor and maximizer from Waves Mercury bundle or a free alternative. You don't want to limit the sound. You want to stop it from clipping.

Maximizer is the commercial name for limiter:cheers:

The limiter limits the sound and leaves intact the rest of the spectrum. For example if you limit at -3dB everything that goes above this limit is turned down. A maximixer limits the sound at a given value and then boosts the sound above a specified threshold.

spectrum?
correct.
Pure poetry. You should read the manual...

I should read the manual for what? Also,

Spectrum:
A spectrum (plural spectra or spectrums) is a condition that is not limited to a specific set of values but can vary infinitely within a continuum.

****ing idiot. Stop giving these people bad advice and pretending to be right. I went to Metal Works Institute, the leading recording school in North America. I paid 90,000$ to have a major in Live Music Production and Studio Recording Management. I think I know a little bit more than you. A limiter stops peaking but doesn't touch the frequencies in the spectrum which are too quite. A maximizer does everything a limiter does, except it BOOSTS frequencies at a specified threshold, meaning it will make the quite sounds louder. A limiter doesn't do that.

I should read the manual for what? Also,

Spectrum:
A spectrum (plural spectra or spectrums) is a condition that is not limited to a specific set of values but can vary infinitely within a continuum.

****ing idiot. Stop giving these people bad advice and pretending to be right. I went to Metal Works Institute, the leading recording school in North America. I paid 90,000$ to have a major in Live Music Production and Studio Recording Management. I think I know a little bit more than you. A limiter stops peaking but doesn't touch the frequencies in the spectrum which are too quite. A maximizer does everything a limiter does, except it BOOSTS frequencies at a specified threshold, meaning it will make the quite sounds louder. A limiter doesn't do that.

Obviously you were ripped off.
For that price you should know that levels are usually on the vertical axis while frequencies are usually marked on an horizontal axis for a spectrum representation. When using a limiter or a maximizer will the curve be modified on the vertical axis, or the horizontal axis?
Could you tell me were you set the frequency you want to boost on this one?

sshot_big_l2_01.jpg

Spending $90.000 doesn't allow you to be rude when you're wrong.

Last edited:
Obviously you were ripped off.
For that price you should know that levels are usually on the vertical axis while frequencies are usually marked on an horizontal axis for a spectrum representation. When using a limiter or a maximizer will the curve be modified on the vertical axis, or the horizontal axis?
Could you tell me were you set the frequency you want to boost on this one?

View attachment 37373

Spending $90.000 doesn't allow you to be rude when you're wrong.

I'm not wrong you are just failing to understand what I am saying. I never said you can boost certain frequencies TO a specified threshold, I said you can boost all frequencies AT a specified threshold. Meaning ALL frequencies hitting at the specified threshold to the left of your picture will be boosted. A limiter doesn't do this it only prevents clipping. Jesus Christ learn to read.

Last edited:
You can invoke Jesus, spend $90.000 and just fail to understand that maximizers and limiters are exactly the same thing.
Ultramaximizer sounds just more appealing than limiter. L2 like limiter 2 isn't sexy enough for marketers.
And the planet Earth turns around the Sun. Sorry for this crude revelation...

Last edited:
I'm not wrong you are just failing to understand what I am saying. I never said you can boost certain frequencies TO a specified threshold, I said you can boost all frequencies AT a specified threshold. Meaning ALL frequencies hitting at the specified threshold to the left of your picture will be boosted. A limiter doesn't do this it only prevents clipping. Jesus Christ learn to read.

I'm pretty sure Laurent knows how to read. To be honest, I also have difficulties to understand what you are trying to say.

"Maximizer" is a product name. "Limiter" is the product category. The difference between both is marketing!

Fact is, limiters aren't even aware of "frequencies" by design. Mentioning frequencies or spectras is the context of limiters doesn't sound particularly smart from a seasoned engineer's point of view.

And before insulting or people, learn to read and quote yourself. If you had any common sense, you would have noticed that the quote is obviously incomplete! This is ridiculous. The sentence describes the structure of information contained in a spectrum, it does not define or explain what a spectrum is. This is what happens when you randomly quote a wikipedia article without actually reading it.

"A spectrum (plural spectra or spectrums) is a condition that is not limited to a specific set of values but can vary infinitely within a continuum."

...is much like saying:

"A car (plural cars)" is a vehicle able transport persons or goods.

...it doesn't explain the what a car is, it just describes one of its properties!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Laurent knows how to read. To be honest, I also have difficulties to understand what you are trying to say.

"Maximizer" is a product name. "Limiter" is the product category. The difference between both is marketing!

Fact is, limiters aren't even aware of "frequencies" by design. Mentioning frequencies or spectras is the context of limiters doesn't sound particularly smart from a seasoned engineer's point of view.

And before insulting or people, learn to read and quote yourself. If you had any common sense, you would have noticed that the quote is obviously incomplete! This is ridiculous. The sentence describes the structure of information contained in a spectrum, it does not define or explain what a spectrum is. This is what happens when you randomly quote a wikipedia article without actually reading it.

"A spectrum (plural spectra or spectrums) is a condition that is not limited to a specific set of values but can vary infinitely within a continuum."

...is much like saying:

"A car (plural cars)" is a vehicle able transport persons or goods.

...it doesn't explain the what a car is, it just describes one of its properties!

No it completely describes what a spectrum is. A spectrum is an array. When I say spectrum, I mean the entire frequency range of your mix. This is common jargon in recording studios. Sorry if I came off as unprofessional because you did not understand this word, I am used to the people around me referring to the frequency range as a spectrum because it is a collection of frequencies. I've been producing for 17 years, a maximizer adds definition to your mix, enhancing the portions that are quite. A limiter mud's the mix, suppressing the portions that are loud. They do VERY different things. Please do some research. A simple Google search will show you that I am correct. "Maximizer" is NOT a copyrighted product name. Saying maximizer is a product name is like saying "Car" is a product name.

KVR :: View topic - Difference between a limiter and a maximizer?

What you don't understand is you are only half right. A maximizer is capable of doing what a limiter does, but it ALSO boosts the quite frequencies. A limiter just limits. A maximizer maximizes the sound. Two very different effects. Hence the different names.

To the other guy, the fact that someone paid 90,000$ for me to go to college and I now work in a studio making 120,000$ a year doesn't make me wrong so I'm not sure why you are using that as a point against me in argument. You guys will never land a position if you are this ignorant to new information. I am trying to share knowledge not get in a debate. Maybe you guys should read more and do more experimenting. Again if you don't understand, on the master channel a limiter will prevent clipping. A maximizer will limit clipping (this is why you think they are the same) BUT IT ALSO BOOSTS THE QUITE PORTION OF THE MIX (this is why it is different). Now stop being ignorant on forums where people actually need this advice.

Last edited:
And pls the revolutionairy working principle of a "maximizer" vs a limiter too. What's the difference?

BTW, I just did some research..

The wikipedia search only returns the following page for term "Maximizer":

Maximizer Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...Which is a CRM tool and totally unrelated to audio, otherwise, Google only returns either a product related to the Wave "L" line or sites related to the BBE sonic maximizer (which is not related to loudness). Both are official trademarks. Again, have you done your research?! ONLY PRODUCT NAMES!! NEITHER GOOGLE NOR WIKIPEDIA NOR DICTIONAIRIES KNOW THE TERM. GIVE UP!!

For the second time, your arguments are.. ..mhh.. ..difficult to follow...

Last edited:
Back