Dynamic Range Export ?

qwerty159

Hello there,

I've been doing my online research and looking at various threads here, but I just can't find an answer to this (perhaps strange) question.

I want to mix down the separate channels (instruments) of a song.
The thing is I want to do this to a large number of songs and I don't mind creating an amateurish mix, and also I have a deadline, so I thought to do ONLY this:

Take the vocals as my "base" and adjust the relative volumes of the other instruments according to the voice. So if vocals go for a crescendo, the instruments do the same. If voice whispers, instruments play very quietly. BUT when voice stops, instruments start to play a bit louder (as in most songs).

Is there a way to do it automatically ? Is there any plugin or software that can analyse the dynamics of a file OVER TIME, and export the data ? If yes, I could export the dynamics stats of the vocals, and then import the data and apply them to the other wavs (the instruments).

Too much to ask !?
Thanks in advance for the help
Alex

I'd say assign all instruments (except vocals) to a group bus, then automate the group bus, following the vocals dynamics. will only take as long as the song takes

Piece of cake!

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion.
Sorry if it's a silly question, but how can I automate a group bus according to the dynamics of a wav file ?
I've been working with Cubase and Audition here and although they can detect the dynamics of a file, I think they can't make the analysis "across time". If that makes sense...

the manual of cubase is pretty in depth over the process of automation. I suggest reading that one. Its pretty easy stuff.

qwerty159 said:
Thanks for the suggestion.
Sorry if it's a silly question, but how can I automate a group bus according to the dynamics of a wav file ?
I've been working with Cubase and Audition here and although they can detect the dynamics of a file, I think they can't make the analysis "across time". If that makes sense...
You'll have to do it manually. Click the R & W buttons on the group channel, play the song from start to finish and adjust the fader with your mouse

Good luck!

ah, I see what you mean, good idea. I was hoping to find a completely automatic way of doing it, but I guess this does the job.
For future reference, if you come across any software that actually detects the "live" dynamics from a file, let me know !
thanks

Back