Drums first or second?

Hairfarm

Greetings,

First post.

I have a very basic question. I'm new at recording, and can't really find the correct order for recording my tracks.

I have a Korg Padkontrol (a 16 pad midi triggering device) for recording drums and percussion. That way I have more options to create my own drum trascks rather than relying on pre-made drum loops and percussion loops. I also use and electric guitar and bass that I play direct-in.

When I record, I'm confused about whether I need to record percussion first or last. In other words, don't I need a beat to record my guitar and bass to. On the other hand, if I record the percussion track's first, how do I record the tracks with out getting "lost". I'm thinking I need the guitar and bass track to help guide my percussion recording. Which is the right way? I can't play all tracks at one time, I'm just one person. But what works for some of you? Drum track first, then other instruments, or instruments first, then drums? What about the Metronome?

Hope that makes sense.

its all pref. if you want to do the drums first go ahead then add a new track for guitar. if you want to go the other way and record your bass or guitar first go ahead but play with a click so when you go back to do the drums it will be synced

The order doesn't matter, just go with whatever your are comfortable with, personally I do all my melody's and details first, then I wrap the drums/percussion around it. so basically you need a reference point right? If I were you I would find the tap tempo button, from there you can visualize the song at whatever the speed is then build from there. eg. like playing your guitar first to the tap tempo, then recording using tap as reference. hope this helps.

It honestly doesn't matter, but if you want an honest answer I got one. Start out with whatever you're stronger at. Starting a song with your weakness is the quickest way for you to quit working on a song especially if you're new. It's hard to vibe to something you're not good at. I definitely wouldn't start recording drums if I know that my guitar ALONE would stand out so much that I can get away with weak drums. Some people need melodies first to do drums. Some need drums first to do melodies. The only way for you to know is to try both ways.

Definitely get your click track/metronome on so you don't get lost. I usually start out with my melodies first. I'll have a click track in the back or I'll sequence a snare so that I stay on tempo.

The one thing you need to learn about producing is that there are no rules. Do whatever makes you happy.

Drums first.

This is the root of the musical piece. This is the part that the audience will use as their guide.

I know that you say you "get lost" playing drums without the music. But that's a weakness. Learn to "play in your mind" along with what you "play with your hands". You'll find that it's very easy with a little practice (Hum to yourself, that's how I do it).

In all likelihood, you--like most people--started making music "in your head" long before you actually made music. You have to access that part of your mind that you were using before you "became" a musician. It's the part of your mind that can handle the abstract thinking involved in composition. It's what people mean by "un-learning"

Of course, you have to make sure that you are immensely smart before you attempt this sort of logic. --I'm not nearly intelligent enough for it.

If you are having trouble recording your guitar and bass with out any drums or percussion, then you could always add a clicktrack or metronome to keep you on beat.

I think you can start anywhere you want to technically. It's important to keep yourself inspired when making a track so some people can't help but start with their favorite bit. Once that's down then everything will be played along to that helping inspire the later tracks.

I havent looked at the other replies yet but I'm going to guess that drums would be the first thing down with the majority. That way you have the feel and rythm of the track to play along to for future tracks. It's hard to get inspired when playing along to a cowbell track if that's down first. Depends how good the cowbell track is though I suppose.

I'm going to suggest playing the drums first to a metronome.

EP

I'd say that if you want your drums to follow or compliment the music and guitar, then record with a click track first, then record the bass and guitar. After that's on the track, go back and do your drums so they follow. This way you don't waste time doing two drum tracks.

Back