Drum compression question

tjlee87

So, I've made this rock/metal drum kit through months of reverse engineering (auditioning hundreds of drum pieces, layering, eqing, etc) and since you can't really listen for the compression, I didn't put any of it in the kit. Only compression I've added here is the maximizer for mastering if that counts.

From my experiences, I've ruined many tracks by compression so I'm bit scared to use it on this kit that I've worked for so long. So my question is do I really need to compress this kit? And what would be the benefit if I add the compression on this kit.

Here's the track: (sorry I don't have enough post count to put links)
(soundcloud) /user2802180/09072012-1
Guitar and drum only, no bass added yet so the low end sounds bit empty. Also, the lead guitar is un-eqed rough track so it might sound muffled and messy.

Soundcloud ruined my cymbals...

Last edited:
Another option might be parallel compression, that way you get some of the positive effects of compression without destroying your transients.

You dont have to compress drums. If they already sound good than leave them alone...Lots of ppl tend to compress drums samples without considering that the drums may have already been compressed

If you like this kind of sound, you do not need to put the compressor. I would not put it on, because you have enough "fixed" sound.
To my taste, I think it lacks a bit of fine presence, especially on the overhead and hi hat. Or is this a bad mp3?

I see, thanks for the reply. I was unsure since almost every drum mixing tutorial videos I've found have put compressors on the kit.
Yea, I do agree that its lacking presence now that I hear it with fresh ear. But seriously, cymbals got really messed up by soundcloud.

Much like for a song... only comrpess when you need to.

If it's a kit you're selling.. the user can just compress if they need to. Most producers actually prefer to do it themselves... at least i would think lol

You’re not going to ruin it, if you don’t like it just remove the compressor again :)

Or are you recording through a compressor? Just open the recorded file in any DAW, add the compressor you wish, and if you don’t like it, remove it again :) Cheers

Last edited:
Back