Convert MP3 to WAV

JMD_Music

Does anyone know how to do this. I don't want to buy some system that does it. Someone offered to mix and master 2 songs for free and I just wanted to see how the songs sounded. But they're in MP3 format and he needs them in WAV.

There is NO point in doing such a thing. He wants the tracks in Wav because Wav is a lossless file format, therefore converting a lossy fileformat into a wav will do no good.

Go into the daw where you made the songs and export them as wavs.

You do NOT want to convert .mp3 to wav for mixing...that is one of the worst thing you can do to audio files if you're concerned with quality.

It's not in the best interest of quality to use .mp3s for recording.

Peace.

Mp3 quality is a compressed version of the wave file. Therefore it sounds worse. If the track has been compressed to a mp3 format then there is no point to converting it to a wave file format. Even if you give the mastering guy a wave version of your file, it will still sound like mp3 quality. Your basically "polishing a turd" at this point.

Load up the session where you made the track and render out a wave file of your mix.

It is bizarre that your multi tracks are in MP3 format, a recipe for mixing disaster IMO. Make sure you re-bounce the files from your sequencer as 24 bit .wav files. That is the correct plan of action.

My next goal will be to produce a track using all low-quality mp3 files and samples, just to show that low-quality can still sound "good".

And yes, I agree... mixing w/ mp3 is a bad idea. But yet and still... we still have bit-crushing capabilities for a reason. Low quality audio sometimes as a certain "grit" or tonality that we may actually want in a few cases. If I wanted to make a early 90s hip-hop sounding track... I might try mixing w/ mp3s.

Can't wait till I can mix good enough to pull this off! lol

Chances are the instrumental you have is in MP3 format because it was free or a low cost lease. Lots of producers will lease you a track for 10 to 25 dollars, but it will be in a very compressed MP3 format. In most cases it is always better to pay the extra money and get the tracked out wavs so they can mixed around your added vocal.

You can always download Audacity for free which will convert mp3's to wav files if you really must do this. I mainly find it useful only when I'm digital digging and want to use a section of a song as a sample inside Maschine when I'm not recording directly into it. (drag and drop)

My next goal will be to produce a track using all low-quality mp3 files and samples, just to show that low-quality can still sound "good".

And yes, I agree... mixing w/ mp3 is a bad idea. But yet and still... we still have bit-crushing capabilities for a reason. Low quality audio sometimes as a certain "grit" or tonality that we may actually want in a few cases. If I wanted to make a early 90s hip-hop sounding track... I might try mixing w/ mp3s.

Can't wait till I can mix good enough to pull this off! lol

I've actually considered recording and mixing a song of all .mp3 tracks AND a USB mic (Blue Snowflake). Should be interesting.

One thing though, the difference between bit-crushed trax and .mp3 trax is that .mp3 has its own, distinctive-sounding artifacts. For me, the issue with avoiding .mp3 as a general rule for recording is because of the artifacts. I affect a lot of my stuff with lo-fi filters and grit and such, but that digital artifact is some garbage for general use.

PEace.

If you want a 90's sound better of using 8 bit wav samples and running them through a semi pro mixing console with 4560 opamps,
getting some FM and analogue synths in with an Alesis Quadraverb. MP3 was hardly even in use in the early 90's.
(and certainly not for music production) Oh.... and run the mix off onto a DAT machine too.

I was there, I know lol.

Last edited:
Back