Compressor study (windows VST)

I don't know if this is possible, but I was thinking what would be cool is if you added a feature where the latency could be turned on and off. Sort of like the difference between the L3 and L3 LL? I know your plugin already "looks" ahead.

Anyways, I'm using your compressor consistently on my mix buses :D

I'm not really sure what you mean.

The first 150 samples of the 151 sample latency are directly related to the linear-phase up and down-sampling filters. The last sample is related to a performance optimization inside the compressor algorithm, the compressor itself does not "look ahead". The former can't be avoided without removing the oversampling stage and it is essential for the warm and creamy sound of the compressor. The latter can be avoided, but at the cost of worse CPU performance (~30% !).

The compressor is made for mastering/mixing purposes in mind. Latency shouldn't matter in these cases.

I'm not really sure what you mean.

The first 150 samples of the 151 sample latency are directly related to the linear-phase up and down-sampling filters. The last sample is related to a performance optimization inside the compressor algorithm, the compressor itself does not "look ahead". The former can't be avoided without removing the oversampling stage and it is essential for the warm and creamy sound of the compressor. The latter can be avoided, but at the cost of worse CPU performance (~30% !).

The compressor is made for mastering/mixing purposes in mind. Latency shouldn't matter in these cases.
Yeah, like I said, it's my go-to now for my mix bus.

Ok, nvm I thought the latency came from like, a look ahead feature that I've read Waves limiters use. I'm not all that savvy on the technical parts. Anyways, it's really solid what you did, any plans on making a commercialized version?

Anyways, it's really solid what you did, any plans on making a commercialized version?

No, probably not. But I'm thinking about charging mac users, a fair "mac port fee". The reason is that I have no other choice than buying mac hardware (and adopt its stupid eco-system) just to get 99% of the same code work on a mac. In any way, most apple users are used to pay for software, so it should be fine I guess.

You could definitely charge for this moses... id pay a few bucks for it.

Just used it as a bus compressor on some aggresive poetry vocals that were waaayy too dynamic. Rather than do a rediculous amount of manual adjustments... i slapped your compressor o, set a decent threshold, 1.6:1 ratio, set the attack n release where i wanted em... and presto, glued the entire vocal track without losing the feel of the performance.

thanks man... this compressor definitely has a home in my mixes lol

You could definitely charge for this moses... id pay a few bucks for it.

Just used it as a bus compressor on some aggresive poetry vocals that were waaayy too dynamic. Rather than do a rediculous amount of manual adjustments... i slapped your compressor o, set a decent threshold, 1.6:1 ratio, set the attack n release where i wanted em... and presto, glued the entire vocal track without losing the feel of the performance.

thanks man... this compressor definitely has a home in my mixes lol

This is fantastic! Really happy to see you found good use for the compressor! :)

Your use case is pretty much what this compressor is about, ease of use and musically useful compression. In fact, the compressor is designed to smoothly "hit the breaks" if the gain reduction becomes to erratic (and thus audible).

A small tip, note that the effective attack and release times are directly related to the ratio and knee value. The higher the ratio, the faster the timing. It means that a 4:1 ratio setting will be roughly twice as fast as a 2:1 setting. The knee will introduce a level dependent ratio and thus make the attack and release level dependent too! This is a reason why turning the ratio knob doesn't sound like a conventional compressor, because it speeds up the timing.

Last edited:
A small tip, note that the effective attack and release times are directly related to the ratio and knee value. The higher the ratio, the faster the timing. It means that a 4:1 ratio setting will be roughly twice as fast as a 2:1 setting. The knee will introduce a level dependent ratio and thus make the attack and release level dependent too! This is a reason why the turning the ratio knob doesn't sound like a conventional compressor, because it speeds up the timing the same amount.
Oh, I thought there was something going on there.

Yeah I'd pay for this one too. Partly because of the value, partly because of you answer a lot of my questions in the forum :D

You should seriously set up a paypal donation if u haven't already. i'll be droppin a few bucks in it.

Feedback compressor updated,

download it here: TDR Feedback Compressor | Tokyo Dawn Records

This is most of all a community update, I implemented many suggestions from users, most notably Laurent (thank you!) and several KVR users..

Thanks Moses......my studio is down for the weekend as we are switching out all our computers, but as soon as we are back up I will check this out for sure. I haven't used it yet, but I would agree with the whole pay thing man. Making plugins is really hard work.

I have studied the compressor that you have mentioned above. After reading all the functionalists like threshold, ratio, knee, side-chain hi-pass freq, i can say that it can produce the best quality sound.

I will try this for sure.

Just wanted to bump this up...

Used your compressor on my master bus and wow did it help me improve my overall mix. I gave my vocals and beat some really good separation... which i thought might be too much. But I lowered the threshold on your compressor, and man did it tame it and glue everything together. Handled around 7db of compression like a champ, and due to the separation the overall mix remained clean as a whistle... despite less dynamics. Really brought out my mix man... drums stayed clean... etc.

Again.. not sure if u meant this to be a bus compressor, but it sure is working on my busses lmao.

Is the update worth it? I'm still using the previous version.

Last edited:
Haha, of course the update is worth it. :)

The controls changed slightly and the whole compressor is much more flexible now (also slightly faster cpu wise).

However, you can still "switch" to the previous behaviour.. ..just "disable" the slow release (set it slower than the fast release) and select the "Dyn RMS" detector. There's nothing to lose IMO. All beta testers reported an improved workflow and sound, so I'm pretty sure you'll like it too. The user manual is soon ready for download.

The compressor is dedicated stereo material, busses and full mixes. It's build around typical mastering related use-cases, so I'm happy to hear you feel the same :)

BTW, version 1.0.0 will be available soon.

Last edited:
Nice... now, if/when I update, will my mixes that already have it in the project... will it still recall previous settings okay?

No, I'm afraid it's not. So make sure to keep both (or update your projects). The release versions will be compatible to each other, but not the betas.

I just released an update to 0.9.03
compressorOriginal1.png

Download here: TDR Feedback Compressor | Tokyo Dawn Records

I was about to finally release 1.0.0 but several users reported issues with the controls refresh rate in some DAWs, so here's a double check update before I release the final version.

# Color scheme changed
# Rare bug during initialization of the sidechain in some DAWs fixed
# Fixed a bug that extremely slowed down the refresh rate of some controls (in Reaper)
# Fixed a bug in the "Hi Color" section
# Minor performance improvements

I'm currently also working on a new series of small processors dedicated to typical mixing tasks. They all come with neat and simple interfaces, relatively low CPU consumption, a nice sound (of course! ;)) and a few unusual approaches.

The first set will include a de-esser, an expander/gate and a compressor.

More soon!

Meanwhile, enjoy the Feedback Compressor update! :) Tell me if everything works as expected in your environment.

(btw you can follow updates here too KVR: TDR Feedback Compressor by Tokyo Dawn Labs - Details
wink.png
)

Last edited:
sorry to revive this thread but I noticed there's a TDR II now?! Is it true you're combining both an RMS and peak compressor in at once with this new one? Btw, loving the original TDR still. It's been on every vocal I've done and I have to say it's just right ;)

sorry to revive this thread but I noticed there's a TDR II now?! Is it true you're combining both an RMS and peak compressor in at once with this new one? Btw, loving the original TDR still. It's been on every vocal I've done and I have to say it's just right ;)

I started the Feedback Compressor II beta phase several months ago. It's pretty stable now and the final version will be released in a day or two! Additionally, a slightly improved version called the "Gentleman's Edition" will be offered in a few weeks in exchange of a few bucks. Check my support forum for details: KVR: Forum - Tokyo Dawn Labs

Glad you like the original! Make sure to download version II! :)

The whole control concept is now much more balanced and the sound engine (i.e. sonic properties, distortion) is now technically miles ahead of any other dynamics processing tool (well, that's exactly why I had to build one ;) ). Check the manual for more infos about the algorithm.

People over at Gearslutz and KVR seem to love the beast, too (so, it's not just me, haha). Some of the most experienced people I know call it the best dynamics compression tool they've ever touched. Especially the mastering "big boys" like it, a fact that makes me particularly proud. :)

Manual and download here:
TDR Feedback Compressor II (beta) | Tokyo Dawn Records

fbcomp21.png

btw, you maybe want subscribe to the labs mailing list for update notifications!

Back