Compressing Vocals

RyanTrapstar

1. Whats a good Threshold/ Ratio to set on a compressor when doing vocals

2. I get the threshhold is when you want it to work and ratio is how hard you want it to work, but when i mess with the attack, release i dont really see any difference

1) Threshold depends on your specific signal. For vocals, I tend to use a low ratio (rarely go over 4:1). I also use multiple stages of compression.

2) Play with the attack and ratio at there extremes to learn how they sound.

The more you use compressors the less you think about this stuff.

Half the time when I load up Pro C it already sounds great on the default settings. Just turn knobs till it sounds good, its all old school engineers did haha. There isn't a whole lot you can do wrong with a compressor as long as you have basic understandings.

When you're setting your attack and release use an extreme threshold, over compress it. It will be easier to hear the effect of the attack and the release. Then once thats set you can set your threshold. You dont have to do it like that, I dont. But it makes sense if your problem right now is not being able to notice attack and release changes.

Ratio can be whatever you want from 1-10 for more realistically 4-10. And you can go above 10 if you want. Then just set the threshold based on your gain reduction and of course what it sounds like.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter, turn knobs till it sounds good. As long as you understand why it sounds good once your finished.

And if you really have problems, nobody is gonna know if you use a vocal preset as a starting point.

Last edited:
A little bit of advice, Less compression is a good thing. Compression can squeeze the like out of a performance. I personally prefer a 2:1 Ratio. Rick

I think it depends on the music. If it's hip-hop or pop music, you want a good amount of gain reduction, so the vocals stand out in your face. So 4:1 would be fine. Just make sure your release is coming back up enough before the next word. If you are doing a acoustic ballad or something more intimate, you might be using the compression to control the vocals more the push them in your face. In that case I think 2:1 is good, and just have the compressor tap the stronger words, bringing down no more then 3db of gain reduction.

"When you're setting your attack and release use an extreme threshold, over compress it. It will be easier to hear the effect of the attack and the release. Then once thats set you can set your threshold."

Definitely use that method, good advice! and going off of what Adrian-MarQ said - just play around with the extremes of every knob.

That helps you to understand exactly what it is you're impacting and once you have that down, just lower the ratio to something more realistic (2:1-4:1) and you're set. I would aim for 3-5db gain reduction as a safe standard.

Something else - I've noticed attack and release times that trigger according to the song's bpm sound awesome!

Some 2nd grade math should get you there ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to your vocal track, make a mental note of the louder words (the ones you want to compress), but also the quiet words (the ones you don't want to compress).

Now start with a reasonable ratio 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, any will do. Start lowering the threshold until your seeing gain reduction on the louder phrases. The quieter parts should be untouched.

Now critically listen to the vocal, are the transients getting squashed? Does the vocal sound too restricted?
Try increasing the attack. (You may need to lower the threshold a touch more if you increase the attack)

Does the vocals move in the mix? it should be locked in place by the compressor. If so, try increasing the release until the level sounds consistent.

Now, can you notice the compression on the louder words? Try lowering the ratio slightly.

Once your happy with the sound, add some make up gain to get back to the original level.

If after all this, if you feel the vocal needs compressing more, add a second compressor or automate.

Back